Question

Student
germy7
Message 1 of 2 (1,246 Views)

Dropped HP Personal Media Drive

Hi,

I have a huge dillema... I accidentally dropped my HP Personal Media Drive from 18 inches high (about the height of a short chair stool) to the hard ground.

Right after the fall, the computer gave me a message saying "USB device not recognized...", and I could not access the drive through my computer.

I tried numerous times plugging the USB back into the computer, but it doesn't help.

As well, the external hard drive's fan has ceased to work, and the hard drive keeps making funny noises. The front lights are on, the orange one keeps blinking. The funny noises stop after a while and it's just dead silent.

Is there any way to fix my HP Personal Media Drive? I've had this drive for a couple years now and it has been used as a storage unit for photos and school work. And a lot of these files are important to me and I just want to get them back.

Grad Student
sclui56
Message 2 of 2 (1,239 Views)

Re: Dropped HP Personal Media Drive

Sorry to give you the bad news - short version - your PMD is most likely toast, stop trying to resurrect it as you will just make things worse, last thing you want to happen is for the heads skating off the platters (discs). If you must have the data recovered, be prepared to pay $$ to prefessional data recovery service.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation