Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
ENVY Phoenix 860-180st
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Recently installed brand-new DDR4-2800 PC4-22400 ram into the system, to try and speed up the memory access.

To reach 2800Mhz on the RAM, requires enabled XMP 2.0 in the Z170 chipset.

The computer purchased is the i7-6700K processor, with the Z170 chipset, so XMP 2.0 should be easily enabled, especially for a gaming-machine this desktop is marketed to.

Is there a way to enable XMP memory speeds?

Right now, the memory is dropping down to the standard 2133Mhz and 15-15-15-35 timing and I hope it can properly run the capability of 2800Mhz in this system.  Requires the XMP 2.0 enabled in order to run this speed.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@KDEDirect

I have yet to see HP provide any documentation on over clocking and/or changing to XMP.  Perhaps Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility will be of some value.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

I agree with you 100%, HP has always been quiet in this regard - but the reason I ask, HP is now looking to position themselves into the gaming market, which the Phoenix 860-180st and water-cooling has been targeted towards.

If they want to be successful in this market, then having the options for overclocking and XMP is absolutely needed.  Overclocking is working with the i7-6700K - the HP BIOS is lacking in this regard, but it works in combination with Intel Extreme Tuning Utilty.  The left-out item is the memory - XMP 2.0 does not appear to be fully-supported, and the basic 2133MHz RAM is just not going to cut it for the hardcore gamers.

Seems it's a simple BIOS update from HP to correct for this - even my old HP ENVY Laptop has XMP 2.0 support, so I'd be shocked if they don't incorporate that in their Phoenix desktops.  Is there anyway to know if they are working on this implementation or anyway to contact their groups for this request?

HP Recommended

@KDEDirect

I have asked in the past to have the issue escalated with HP.  So far nothing. 

As a side note, ASUS as a third party motherboard manufacturer doesn't document over clocking all that much.  You get the tools but specifics are negligible.

Give the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility a look over and see if it fits your needs.

I do some over clocking but stay within norms.  I am not into liquid nitrogen.:smileytongue:

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.