Question

Honor Student
GoodCRNA
Message 1 of 4 (2,038 Views)

External Hard Drives not Recognized

I have an HP Pavillion Elite d5100t.  I have a new Lacie External Hard Drive and when I plug this unit in, Vista says to place the install drivers disk.  This drive doesn't come with drivers (according to Lacie).  Evidently a hotfix from Microsoft was included with Vista Service Pack 1.  So microsoft says the operating system isn't at fault!!!???...  Anyone else have trouble with external hard drives with Windows Vista Home Premium-Service Pack 1?  Or is it a Lacie problem?

This drive was purchased at my local Apple store.  It was formated for the Mac operating system.  I tried this disk on my Apple systems and it works just fine.  Why do I mess with Vista systems....Oh, I digress!!!!....

Honor Student
GoodCRNA
Message 2 of 4 (2,034 Views)

Re: External Hard Drives not Recognized

Can someone with God like powers move this message to Desktops.  Sorry...

Greg

Honor Student
AZDinker
Message 3 of 4 (1,931 Views)

I have a d5100t, purchased in late Nov., also with Vista Home Premium 64bit. I added a Cavalry 500gb external drive and haven't had any problems. It is connected with eSATA, also came with (nor required) no drivers. As per directions, I powered down the computer, plugged in the drive with eSATA, turned the drive on, turned the computer on, and the BIOS recognized it immediately. It was preformatted with NTSF.

HP Pavilion Elite d5100t
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz
8GB DDR2-800MHZ SDRAM
Vista Home Premium 64, Windows Experience Index 5.9
640GB RAID0 HDD

500GB Cavalry External HDD
Blu-ray player, TV Tuner
Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium
Asus EN9800GTX+ DK/HTDI/512M
Dual 17" monitors

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 4 (1,907 Views)

You have answered your own question. The file system for OSX is not recognized by Windows as avalid file system. You will see the same thing if you try to view a disk with a Linux file system..

That is just how it is. Each OS hasa file system (or file systems ) that it will recognize.

Windows Vista is NTFS and will also recognize FAT/FAT16 and FAT32. If you go to Control Panel --> Administrative tools --> Computer Management --> Storage --> Disk Management, you might see your disk, but it will show as unknown FS (or something like that).

You can download  a bootable Knoppix (Linux) CD and boot up your system with it. Then you will probably see the LaCie External HDD.

Also be aware that if you do not use a short USB cable you will also have problems. 

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation