Question

Top Student
lizzie29
Message 1 of 13 (4,385 Views)

External drive not assigned a letter in Windows 7 Pavilion

I removed my old hard drive, perfect working condition, from my old Windows XP machine, put it into an external case,

attached it to my new Windows 7 Pavilion Elite, and it was recognized but no drive letter was assigned.

I tried reinstalling the USB drivers, tried assigning it a drive letter manually ( was not able to do that either in a command prompt

or in COMPUTER>HARD DISK DRIVES), tried modifying the registry as advised by an engineer at Microsoft, tried a differnt brand

of external case, and a few other things, and it apparently does not read the data on the drive.

I also had hp support trying to get it to assign a drive letter to it.  The drive has been tested and is in perfect condition.

I am at my wit's end.  This hard drive has all my data on it from my old computer which stopped working due to a bad CPU.

I see on the Microsoft website that others have had this problem but have gotten no good answers there.  I spend over $1000

for this computer and I can't attach my old hard drive to it?  Not good.

Grad Student
sclui56
Message 2 of 13 (4,380 Views)

Re: External drive not assigned a letter in Windows 7 Pavilion

How is the external drive showing up under Disk Management (Control Panel, Admininistrative Tools, Computer Management, Disk Management). Is it showing up as off-line? If so, right click & bring it online.
Top Student
lizzie29
Message 3 of 13 (4,366 Views)

Top Student
lizzie29
Message 4 of 13 (4,379 Views)

This might be because it is an OEM drive from my old computer.  And Microsoft in their zeal

to not allow software to be transfered from one computer to another has blocked the ability

to hook an OEM drive from an old computer to a new one.   If so I am switching to Apple.

Top Student
lizzie29
Message 5 of 13 (4,378 Views)

I do see other people having this problem though with any external hard drive they try to hook up to Windows 7.

Grad Student
sclui56
Message 6 of 13 (4,364 Views)

[ Edited ]

So the external HDD shows up as online but without a drive letter under disk management, correct? Can you attach a print screen of the disk management? What happened when you try to assign/change drive letter under disk management? Finally, how many drives do you have assigned on your system?

One more thing, did you try this enclosure on another port or even a different system?

Message Edited by sclui56 on 11-14-2009 02:35 PM
Top Student
lizzie29
Message 7 of 13 (4,351 Views)

I just have the one external drive hooked up.   I got a new Windows XP computer today and the same thing happened with this external drive.

The enclosure with the drive in it showed up but there is no letter assigned to it and it does not show up under My Computer

where the C drive shows up.

ON the Windows 7 computer I am not able to assign a letter to it.  That option is greyed out.

It is not recognizing the volume.

On the new Windows XP machine it was the same thing.   No way to give it a drive letter.

That part where you are able to assign a drive letter to all drives is greyed out for this drive,  meaning that

you cannot click on it.   Understand that  was in command prompt last night under diskpart and still could not

assign it a drive letter.  Here is the proceedure I followed for diskpart:

Click the Start button . In the Search box, type Command Prompt, and then, in the list of results, double-click Command Prompt.

Type: diskpart
Then type: list disk
That will give you a list of all your drives with their drive numbers (not letters).
Find the drive number for the drive you want to assign a letter to.
Then type: select disk={number} (no brackets, just the number assigned to your IDE drive)
Then type: assign letter={letter} (no brackets, just the letter you want to assign to the IDE drive - be sure it is not used by another device such as a CD drive)

It did not work.  diskpart responded to this by saying  "you need to specify a volume".

However in another part of diskpart,  it said that this drive contains zero volumes. 

Associate Professor
c0rnel
Message 8 of 13 (4,348 Views)

Hi, I can assure you this isn't a problem with Windows 7 but rather with the way the drive connect via the usb. I know this because I myself hooked up a hard drive from an older xp pc to ym windows 7 pc externally.

I just hook up an older ide hard drive using an ide to usb adapter and it shows up fine after i reboot pc and i can see all the contents of that xp and files on there.

Windows 7 let's you see and does recognize drives connected to it.

What I recommend is the following.

Try hooking this drive internally using the ide cable and power inside your windows 7 pc case or inside your xp pc case. If not go to newegg.com and get a ide to usb adapter.

Hope this helps. 

Top Student
lizzie29
Message 9 of 13 (4,321 Views)

Thank you for trying to help.

I already have it inside an external case.  I don't see why just having it hooked to an USB adaptor would

make any difference.

It recognized the case and drive, just not what is on it.

I hooked it to a windows xp machine and it sees the recovery partition on it.

But not the main partition with all my data.

Top Student
lizzie29
Message 10 of 13 (4,308 Views)

Could it be that it was the C drive before so that is why?  It is still labeled the C drive???
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation