Failed smart short self test (1359 Views)
Honor Student
jdh0ne
Message 1 of 4 (1,359 Views)

Failed smart short self test

I have HP Pavillion Slimline OS windows 7 i3 CPU Failed smart short self test. How do I fix this problem HD521-2w what does this mean?

Thank you

Provost
lasvegaswireman
Message 2 of 4 (1,321 Views)

Re: Failed smart short self test

Failing the SMART short test and receiving a HD521-2w error are both indications that your hard drive has some faults and may fail completely out any time. Create your HP recovery discs if you can and backup all of your personal data. If the computer is under warranty contact HP for replacement. If not, purchase a new hard drive to replace the failing unit.

Frank

Frank
{------------ Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my assistance has solved your issue. ------------V

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP.

HP 15t-j100 (on loan from HP)
HP 13 Split x2 (on loan from HP)
HP Slate8 Pro (on loan from HP)
HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
Honor Student
jdh0ne
Message 3 of 4 (1,311 Views)

Thanks Frank,

Now that you have answered that question. I have more, where do I get a hard drive & how do I know which one? It says I have two in my computer. Also I have transfered all my stuff to an external hard drive. Will that put everything back onto my new hard drive that I need to get? Desktop Icons & files? Thanks for your help, very much appreciated.

Jon

Master's Graduate
Matt_Lo
Message 4 of 4 (1,292 Views)

If the unit is still under warranty, I would call HP and get a replacement. If it is not under warranty, you can still call to purchase a new one. As for getting all your programs and system settings back, I recommend creating a system image. Here's a Microsoft article with the details on what a system image is and how to create one
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Back-up-your-programs-system-settings-and-files

"I'm looking for a laptop that looks like it's wrapped in super-rich, smoothed out tangerine peels." -TheMusicMaker
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation