Question

Honor Student
Deggis
Message 1 of 4 (221 Views)

Fans Will Not Speed Up

Product: HP Pavilion p6331p

I'm having trouble with heat in my PC. Normally when the PC would heat up, I'd hear the fans inside kick up and the heat wouldn't be a problem. Now, I haven't heard my fans kick on at all. They are running at an idle speed (quietly), but they haven't had the speed kick I normally get when doing something graphics or CPU-intensive (gaming, video editing).

I had a hard drive failure a few weeks ago and had the HDD replaced, so I'm thinking whatever software that governed the fan speed and CPU temps were lost when it died.

Any help on either recovering this software or getting the fans to go back to their previous operating state?

Distinguished Professor
anthony82
Message 2 of 4 (191 Views)

Re: Fans Will Not Speed Up

Hello Deggis,

I understand that your fan is not speeding up when the computer gets hot.

Do a hard reset.
Turn the computer off.
Remove the power cable and the battery.
Hold down the power button for 15 sec while booth power sources are removed.

This should reset the hardware in the computer.

As you turn it back on tap the F10 key. This will load BIOS setup utility.
Press F9 to load defaults.
Press F10 to save and exit.

When the computer boots back up, check to see if everything is working.

Also clean the vents out with a can of compressed air to make sure that there is not a buildup of dust inside the system.

Let me know how everything goes.

Associate Dean
wb2001
Message 3 of 4 (176 Views)

Swapping out a hard drive will not cause this problem.

Download this program, CPUID HWMonitor to see the fan speeds

The Law of Effect states that positive reinforcement increases the probability of a behavior being repeated. (B.F.Skinner). You toss me points, and I perform better.

To say THANK YOU, press the white "thumbs up" on the left, to render a KUDO.
Please click Accept as Solution, just to the right of my reply if your problem is solved.
You can render both Solution and KUDO

(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
HP m9200t CTO,Win7 Pro 32 bit. 4GB RAM, ASUS 550Ti 2GB, Rosewill 630W. 1T HD SATA 3Gb/s
Custom Asus P8P67, I7-2600k, 16GB RAM, WIN7 Pro 64bit, EVGA GTX660 2GB, 750W Corsair, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
Custom Asus P8Z77, I7-3770k, 16GB RAM, WIN7 Pro 64bit, EVGA GTX670 2GB, 750W Corsair, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus

Honor Student
Deggis
Message 4 of 4 (157 Views)

[ Edited ]

Removed the power cable and battery, then reset the BIOS as suggested.

Played some of the more graphic-intensive games that usually triggered the fans (Skyrim, Planetside 2) with no result after three hours of play each.

Running CPUID showed that my fans WERE running as of this posting. If there's anything abnormal about any of these values, please let me know.

cpuid.png

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation