Fastest processor for Asus A8N-LA? (3921 Views)
Top Student
dcwebman
Message 1 of 9 (3,921 Views)
Accepted Solution

Fastest processor for Asus A8N-LA?

Hi, I have a Compaq Presario SR1950NX that has an Asus A8N-LA motherboard. I want to upgrade the processor to the fastest I can and according to this page, I can use an AMD Athlon 64 X2.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00683208&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us〈=en&product=3184153

From searching there are many kinds of X2 processors. What's the fastest X2 model name I can get for this motherboard?

Thanks!

Associate Professor
RoyalSerpent
Message 2 of 9 (3,915 Views)

Re: Fastest processor for Asus A8N-LA?

Is that a 939 socket?  That's dead technology with the obsolete PC3200.  You'll pay an arm and a leg if you could locate a DC 939 chip.  Buy or better yet, build a new PC if the current one is too slow.

In theory, all 939 X2 chips should work if the BIOS is up to date.  Only way to know for sure is to drop in the replacement CPU.

Top Student
dcwebman
Message 3 of 9 (3,907 Views)

Yes, it's a 939 socket. I was hoping that the spec page of which I included the link might be of some help. Just trying to save some money to be able to do faster video editing. The capture device I'm looking at, Hauppauge HD PVR, requires at least a dual core. I have 2GB of memory already with XP. Yeah, could be more there too but needed to get to at least dual core.
Associate Professor
RoyalSerpent
Message 4 of 9 (3,885 Views)

I can't even locate any DC 939 @ Newegg.  I've only come across one 939 board that will not work with a DC chip (Abit AX8 due to an issue with the VIA NB/SB).  Again, the board should run a DC with the right BIOS, and the only way you will know for sure is to pop in a chip.  The difference between the bottom and top of the line DC in real world condition is less than 15%.

I figure you would need to pay at least $170 for a good DC 939.  That's twice the price of a modern C2D capable of +3.2GHz (oveclocked).  2 x 2GB DDR2 6400 is $22.  Add another $100 for a new motherboard and $38 for a new PSU.  So for another $55, you'll have a new PC that's twice as fast as an old DC 939.

PM me if you need help with the OS.

Top Student
dcwebman
Message 5 of 9 (3,865 Views)

I did a search on the web for a 939 and the ones I found have been discontinued. So I think you're right, time to upgrade everything. It's been years since I built a computer. From the pieces you mentioned, you're thinking that they'll fit in my existing case? Time to go to Newegg and start getting part numbers.

Thanks for the help.

Provost
erico
Message 6 of 9 (3,852 Views)

NewEgg doesn't even list them anymore. Try here.

****If you found that my suggestion was helpful, you can say thanks by clicking on the purple thumbs up icon in the lower left corner of a post ***

****Please click on the Accept As Solution button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having****
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Associate Professor
RoyalSerpent
Message 7 of 9 (3,840 Views)

HP case does not provide great ventilation if you want to overclock a CPU.  One can re-use the HP case.  Worst case...use a Dremel tool to perform minor facelift.

I like the Antec Solo case.  This item is often on sale at Frys.com for $50.  Have a few spare boxed units around the garage for the same price if you are local.

Student
ratagi
Message 8 of 9 (1,151 Views)

The truth is that many processors, here's a list of all of them.

Amd Processor

Bye.

Provost
erico
Message 9 of 9 (1,148 Views)

ratagi wrote:

The truth is that many processors, here's a list of all of them.

Amd Processor

Bye.

Hi Ratagi,

Are you aware that this thread is from back in 2009?

****If you found that my suggestion was helpful, you can say thanks by clicking on the purple thumbs up icon in the lower left corner of a post ***

****Please click on the Accept As Solution button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having****
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation