Question

Tutor
Gratax
Message 1 of 11 (114 Views)
Accepted Solution

First HP screen, then a black screen with a blinking underscore

[ Edited ]

Hello!

I bought a new Graphics card (Asus GeForce GT 740 2gb PhysX CUDA) for my Desktop PC (HP Pavilion p6-2067sc) and have a problem. When i put in the card and start up the PC the HP screen comes up for maybe 20 seconds, and after that its a black screen with a line blinking in the top left corner. Ive tried alot to fix it, but havent found any ways yet, i have updated BIOS to the latest update from HP.

Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 2 of 11 (107 Views)

Re: First HP screen, then a black screen with a blinking underscore

Assuming you still are using Windows 7. then there is a posibility that the new video card has confused the OS bootloader.  That is often the reason for the blinking cursor in the upper left corner.  HERE is a thread from awhile ago with the subject and several items to try.

{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
Tutor
Gratax
Message 3 of 11 (93 Views)

Hmm, also i forgotbto mention, if i use the graphic card i used before, the pc works just fine.
Tutor
Gratax
Message 4 of 11 (92 Views)

Also when trying to press f8 f10 f11 etc it just appear a black screen with the pc specs, if i click on my keyboard, a small click noise comes from my pc.
Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 5 of 11 (83 Views)

I went back and looked at the specs for your PC and I see it has an i5 processor and 300w power supply.  While either one of these can cause a problem when upgrading the video card, I would start with a 450-500w power supply.

Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

Tutor
Gratax
Message 6 of 11 (80 Views)

Does 16 watt really make a big difference? Since thats the difference on power usage from the old card and the new one
Tutor
Gratax
Message 7 of 11 (76 Views)

I read abit on specifications, and it seems like it should be able to handle it.
TDP: 35W up to 95W (processor dependent)
Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 8 of 11 (66 Views)

I have no idea, as I only relay what I read about.  There is the other consideration I mentioned - having an i5 processor.  For what ever the reason, users are reporting problems when trying to upgrade a video card when the i3, i5, or i7 processors are involved.  I have not come across the reason, yet.

Tutor
Gratax
Message 9 of 11 (61 Views)

Ok,i just found out that if i connect the vga to mother oard input, and start pc, and after 5 mins i plug the vga into the gfx card it shows that windows have started normally, and im on the desktop, i will now try to install drivers etc and see if this will fix it.
Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 10 of 11 (59 Views)

Glad to hear it has booted - the blinking cursor was indicating it could not or would not boot.  That is strange!!  Report back if all things work out.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation