Question

Tutor
tonycsm
Message 1 of 9 (4,085 Views)

Fitting i5 or i7 processor in MS-7613 (Iona-GL8E) mobo..possible?

Hi guys,

I'm about to pull the trigger on purchasing a new HP base unit to replace my aging Pavillion 1439uk which has served me well  - maybe a new HP Pavilion p6505uk or a HP HPE-340uk or even a basic HP g5208uk with a view to expanding and future-proofing for my needs. All the base units have a  MS-7613 (Iona-GL8E) mobo as standard and fitted with the i3-540 chip.!

According to the mobo specs', the board will accept either the i5 or i7 8xxx series of processors as well as the i3 which is fitted. Is this correct or are there any obvious problems that I have overlooked if I wished to upgrade the processor further down the line?

I would presume there would be a bios upgrade available to suit the new processor? - I don't wish to over-clock or mess with the computer as, all I want is a stable and reliable machine that will last at least as long as my last two HP machines. 

While I'm here...I don't play games but I do a lot of photo-editing in PhotoShop et al so, would the i3 processor that comes with all the base units I've mentioned, do what I need if I upped the RAM to say 6 gigs or even higher? I know that I might have to increase the PSU if I decide on a highe spec graphics card but, would the onboard graphics handle my needs if I install plenty of RAM?

Thanks in advance...

Tony

Provost
old_geekster
Message 2 of 9 (4,010 Views)

Re: Fitting i5 or i7 processor in MS-7613 (Iona-GL8E) mobo..possible?

tonycsm wrote:

Hi guys,

I'm about to pull the trigger on purchasing a new HP base unit to replace my aging Pavillion 1439uk which has served me well  - maybe a new HP Pavilion p6505uk or a HP HPE-340uk or even a basic HP g5208uk with a view to expanding and future-proofing for my needs. All the base units have a  MS-7613 (Iona-GL8E) mobo as standard and fitted with the i3-540 chip.!

According to the mobo specs', the board will accept either the i5 or i7 8xxx series of processors as well as the i3 which is fitted. Is this correct or are there any obvious problems that I have overlooked if I wished to upgrade the processor further down the line?

I would presume there would be a bios upgrade available to suit the new processor? - I don't wish to over-clock or mess with the computer as, all I want is a stable and reliable machine that will last at least as long as my last two HP machines. 

While I'm here...I don't play games but I do a lot of photo-editing in PhotoShop et al so, would the i3 processor that comes with all the base units I've mentioned, do what I need if I upped the RAM to say 6 gigs or even higher? I know that I might have to increase the PSU if I decide on a highe spec graphics card but, would the onboard graphics handle my needs if I install plenty of RAM?

Thanks in advance...

Tony

Tony, welcome to the forums.  The CPU upgrades are listed in the Motherboard Specifications for each model.  It shows the i5-7xx and the i7-8xx series in each case.  Since HP shows that they support these CPU's, they should work with no problems.  I don't believe that a BIOS update would be necessary.

You could save some money in the long run by purchasing the HPE-340uk.  It has 4GB of memory, a 460W power supply unit (PSU) and a video card with 1GB of video memory already installed.  Integrated video is simply not good for anything other than everyday use; web surfing, word processing, etc.  The video memory on the video card will make system performance very good for video editing.

The PSU is the most important component in the computer.  If it doesn't have enough wattage, upgrading is not possible.  If you bought one of the other models, you would eventually want to upgrade to a dedicated video card and this would mean a PSU upgrade, also.

If you have more questions, let me know. 

HP Split 13 x2
- 1.6 Ghz; 4 GB memory; SSD 128 GB; Win 8.0

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe
- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 3 of 9 (4,007 Views)

In retrospect, Is there any point upgrading from an i3 to an i5 processor? There seems to be very little difference between them...there should however, be a substantial performance difference between the i3 and i7.

Tutor
tonycsm
Message 4 of 9 (4,004 Views)

Thanks old-geekster...very much appreciated!

I must have written my last post while you replied to my first post LOL

I agree that the -340uk you suggest is perhaps the best bet as it has a decent sized PSU, a big case and the card fitted would probably do what I need. Also the extra 1 gig  RAM and card + better psu would probably cost more than the price difference between the 6505uk ( around £110.00 ) so it would be worth it.

Surprisingly, the onboard graphics of my Compaq 1439uk have been quite satisfactory for my needs but the processor is just that bit too slow for later versions of PhotpShop, hence my need to upgrade, but it's still a very good old computer. I wonder how the H57 chipset compares to the SIS 7xxx chips onboard my Salmon mobo?

Tony

Provost
old_geekster
Message 5 of 9 (3,985 Views)

tonycsm wrote:

Thanks old-geekster...very much appreciated!

I must have written my last post while you replied to my first post LOL

I wonder how the H57 chipset compares to the SIS 7xxx chips onboard my Salmon mobo?

Tony

Tony, I can't answer this question with any certainty.  However, I believe that it will be better, since technology has come along way.

HP Split 13 x2

- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++

Message 6 of 9 (3,980 Views)

Thanks again O_G,

Yes, you are probably right - I too would expect there to be an improvement in the efficiency of the later chipset, which would be very welcome if it was better. ( hopefully :smileywink:).

I really can't decide whether to buy just the basic unit and upgrade, as and when I need which, will allow me to fit a better quality graphics card than available with the HP models plus a decent quality, high output PSU to match the increased current draw or, buy the more expensive one, already done!.

Memory is cheap at the moment so, 2 or 3 extra gigs of RAM to raise it to maybe 6 or 7gigs wouldn't break the bank. Top end i7 processors that fit this board will probably be selling at about half today's price a year from now so, if I find i3 stuggling, I can fit the i7.

I think I'll give the i5 a miss as there is not sufficient difference between the i3 and the i5... the best upgrade would be the i3 to  i7 which would give the machine a much longer working life. ( at least for my needs).

Tony

Provost
old_geekster
Message 7 of 9 (3,975 Views)

Tony, my theory on upgrading CPU's has always been, not to do it until I can nearly double the speed.  The reason?  My old eyes can't see the difference in a few hundred MHz.  In fact, speed is in the mind's eye.  I have always purchased the highest quality components that I can afford at the time.  This has been a good policy.  My computers are relavent longer.

I would definitely go for the i7 when you can afford it.  It will pay dividends.

Good luck!

HP Split 13 x2

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++

Message 8 of 9 (1,577 Views)

All,

I have this Elite HPC with i5 (750) . Am planning to upgrade mother board just to have Usb 3.0 and SATA 3(6GBs)...any suggestions.

Do I need to change my mother board or buy a card which has sata 3 and usb 3 ..if yes, are they truly speed up data transfer/ process or just only ports?

Please advise. thank you

Top Student
Sundayface
Message 9 of 9 (115 Views)

Hi i know this is a whilst now since you first posted here,ive just read all of them,as im in the middle of upgrading my excellent Hpe340uk model with an i3,and Geforce Gt320 its definately fast enough etc for the things you needed it for i might add,ive had mine now for three and half years and touch wood its been great,im a gamer so i used it to it's max really and this week ive now replaced the GFX card with a Geforce GTX660 Sc(remember this it's absolutely huge!at first glance i thought no way is this gonna fit!^^) and what a beast that is,(id love to have two as well in SLI mode,but now im going to need to change the motherboard).i also quickly replaced the memory which was good enough really but still i bought two 4gb -8gb total Corsair Vengeance.

Finally my PSU a standard 460 i believe,i mistakenly thought was not enough so i bought a Corsair CX600M which looks great only if i could wire it up properly,i did try but it wouldnt power up as i had to remove four cables from the old one and whn i put the new one in i could only wire up three of them,the fourth wich is a four pin(possibly power)to the motherboard which was connected with the original box the new one i dont have a cable for?!..so had to take it back out and out the 460 back in.Happy to say it still works with the new GFX card and memory etc is quiet as a mouse and maybe i might get a refund on the 600 unless one of you says ill need it in the future,which if i change the motherboard then i can see i will...i want to SLI this baby so please help..thanks in advance...:smileywink:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation