GPU Upgrade Problem, Pavilion Desktop (304 Views)
Student
NicD
Message 1 of 2 (304 Views)

GPU Upgrade Problem, Pavilion Desktop

Hello, I'm currently trying to upgrade the Radeon HD 7450 graphics card on my Pavilion HPE h8-1234 desktop. Here are the system specs:  http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c03359045 

It runs with Windows 7 on an AMD FX-6120 processor. 

The card I'm trying to replace the 7450 with is a GeForce GTX 760 however my system refuses to post with it. Upon startup with the 760, the computer immediately freezes at an HP splash screen prompting me to press esc to access a startup menu. Unfortunately my keyboard is unresponsive and I can't access anything. 

Along with the new GPU I purchased a 600W power supply which works perfectly with the 7450 card, so I don't believe that it's the culprit here. In desperation I also did a complete system restore in case there were any conflicting driver issues but my PC still freezes at the HP splash screen on startup. 

At this point I don't know what else I can do. I have had a couple people tell me that it may not be compatible with the system's motherboard which would really be a bummer. By all accounts it seems like it should be compatible.  Here's the motherboard link as well: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03353629&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en

The card works when installed in my friend's custom build so there must be some problem on my end causing the issue. Any advice on what my problem could be would really be appreciated here. 

Thanks! 

Nic

Associate Dean
wb2001
Message 2 of 2 (260 Views)

Re: GPU Upgrade Problem, Pavilion Desktop

This came from a "private conversation" I had with a senior member of the forums.

Quote: What is suspect is that the EVGA 760 card doesn't have backwards compatibility with an non-UEFI motherboard.  It may require a patch to enable it to work with UEFI. I asked EVGA why the patch wasn't incorporated into the board new board and they said it was allow backwards compatibility with older non-UEFI PCs. So, I suspect the 760 has the patch and therefore is not compatible.  EVGA would have to confirm that suspicion.

The Law of Effect states that positive reinforcement increases the probability of a behavior being repeated. (B.F.Skinner). You toss me points, and I perform better.

To say THANK YOU, press the white "thumbs up" on the left, to render a KUDO.
Please click Accept as Solution, just to the right of my reply if your problem is solved.
You can render both Solution and KUDO

HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB WIN7-64bit
Custom Asus P8P67 board, I7-2600k, WIN7 Pro 64bit, GTX670 2GB, 16GB RAM, 750W OCZ, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
HP m9200t CTO,Win7 Pro 32 bit. ASUS 550Ti 2GB, Rosewill 630W
HP m8100eCTO WIN7 Ultimate 32bit. XFX5670 1GB, Rosewill 530W.
Printer -- OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus, HP Deskjet F4135

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation