Question

Tutor
cpuwrite
Message 1 of 5 (519 Views)

Get Front USB Ports on Presario 5002US working

I've got a Presario 5002US desktop computer.  A keyboard I was using on it went bad and burned out the keyboard and mouse ports on the motherboard, so I got a USB keyboard and mouse.  This used up the two USB ports on the back.  There are two USB ports on the front, but a quick check showed they didn't work.  This was no fun when it came time to plug a printer into the system.

I took the system apart and pulled out the USB ports.  They have a non-standard plug that prevents them from working in this motherboard.  I say that it is non-standard because I have other plug-in USB ports with the proper plug that won't fit in the case. Go figure.

This plug is a ribbon cable, and it looks very much like a standard USB plug--nine holes, one filled in spot--but the filled in spot is on the wrong side.  That is to say, if you orient the plug so that the filled in spot is at the top, this one is on the RIGHT side, when the others all have it on the LEFT side.

Does anybody know where I can get a pin-out on this plug, so I can make an adapter for the motherboard?

Thanks in advance.

Tutor
cpuwrite
Message 2 of 5 (469 Views)

Re: Get Front USB Ports on Presario 5002US working

Well...here's some further information.

The plug on the ribbon cable--part number 163606-002--is not compatible with the motherboard, a Microstar 6378 V.3.  The Microstar motherboard's front USB connector is set up for a standard Intel USB port, and the USB connector that came with the system, part number 16471(S) Z, is not.

Is there some way to adapt a 16471(S) Z over to a standard intel USB header?  If not, is there a duel USB port that I can buy that will fit in the slot that the 16471(S) Z came out of on the computer?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 3 of 5 (458 Views)

I know what you mean but a simple solution would be to add a powered USB hub to the back USB ports and give an accesible point for use of additional ports.

You did say "Any help would be appreciated."

{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
Tutor
dcx4ever
Message 4 of 5 (448 Views)

The best solution for you is to forget the front usb ports altogether because I believe they are usb 1.1 and 2.0 is the current standard anyway. Add a pci-usb adapter card to the computer. They can be puchased at any computer or electronics retailer for about $10. They will give you up to 5 usb ports on some models and will be usb 2.0 and 1.1 compliant. Good Luck.

Tutor
cpuwrite
Message 5 of 5 (444 Views)

Thanks for confirming my suspicions.  Front USB ports are a wash.  Doubt they were ever meant to work in the first place, quite frankly.  Wish there was something I could do about the hole in the front of the case, but...oh well.  :smileyhappy:  :smileyhappy:  :smileyhappy:

Thanks again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation