Question

Top Student
nicerobot
Message 1 of 3 (6,613 Views)

Getting "Failed Smart Short Self Test" on hard drive for HP Pavilion p6310f PC

[ Edited ]

My HP Pavilion p6310f Desktop PC ran a self diagnostic on my hard drive and came up with a  "Failed Smart Short Self Test" error.  I am less than one week out of warranty and HP will do nothing for me unless I pay $50 for technical support.  My computer shows no signs of any performance problem and has no trouble booting up or anything (the hard drive does make faint data access noises continuously at times in idle  but I assume that's normal).   My question is basically how serious could a smart test fail problem be with no symptoms and could it get worse over time.   I fortunately purchased the computer with a credit card that double's the manufacturer's warranty but want to make sure its worth going through all the paper work/hoops to rectify this problem.   

Thank you.   

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 3 (6,568 Views)

Re: Getting "Failed Smart Short Self Test" on hard drive for HP Pavilion p6310f PC

Hi,

The SMART error is an early warning of the Hard Drive starting to fail and should hopefully appear before you notice a problem with the PC, which it has in your case.

Your first priority after receiving this error message is to make sure you have a backup of all your important files.

If you can get the HDD replaced under warranty, then I would do so - this problem will only get worse and sometimes a HDD will fail very suddenly.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Provost
erico
Message 3 of 3 (6,553 Views)

Re: Getting "Failed Smart Short Self Test" on hard drive for HP Pavilion p6310f PC

[ Edited ]

nicerobot wrote:

My HP Pavilion p6310f Desktop PC ran a self diagnostic on my hard drive and came up with a  "Failed Smart Short Self Test" error.  I am less than one week out of warranty and HP will do nothing for me unless I pay $50 for technical support.  My computer shows no signs of any performance problem and has no trouble booting up or anything (the hard drive does make faint data access noises continuously at times in idle  but I assume that's normal).   My question is basically how serious could a smart test fail problem be with no symptoms and could it get worse over time.   I fortunately purchased the computer with a credit card that double's the manufacturer's warranty but want to make sure its worth going through all the paper work/hoops to rectify this problem.   

Thank you.   

The SMART test means your hard disk is going to fail. Ther e is no telling when it will happen but it is imminent. I would not waste any time since  your warranty period is over. One week out of warranty is  outside of the warranty period.  

Purchase a SATA  1 TB or larger drive, a SATA hard drive (usb or firewire) external enclosure and use drive imaging software to clone your original drive to the new drive.

There are a number of articles that explain how it is done.  Five free apps to Clone your hard disk 

more free cloning utilities

Here are some videos on hard disk cloning. Also check out HAK5/disk cloning

My favorite cloning software is Macrium Reflect. I always keep an image of my system drive on my NAS in case of a failure onthee C: drive. and a rescue CD in a safe place.

Best regards,
erico

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation