Question

Top Student
milellie111
Message 1 of 4 (522 Views)

Graphics Card and Low Power Supply

I am about to buy a Pavilion Elite e9250t desktop with Intel Core i5 processor. It is going to have the 512mb ATI Radeon HD 4850 graphics card which requires a 450 watt power supply. I saw the specs on the machine and it comes with a 350 watt power supply. I just talked to a sales rep at HP and he said that maybe i should step up to the e9280t which comes with the 460 watt power supply. I told him no, i don't want to pay that much. Plus, why are you allowed to configure performance level graphics cards which require higher power supplies than which HP gives you? Will i run into problems if i get the 350 watt power supply with the graphics card?

Thanks for your help

Teacher
tvccs
Message 2 of 4 (518 Views)

Re: Graphics Card and Low Power Supply

If your information is correct your point is well taken.  Using a power supply that small could lead to failure down the road.
Top Student
milellie111
Message 3 of 4 (512 Views)

Yes, i am starting to rethink my purchase. I thought that i was getting a "deal" because the price of the pc is pretty low. But now i see why it seems that way, because HP looks to be skimping on certain parts cutting costs.
Teacher
tvccs
Message 4 of 4 (512 Views)

However...I'd add the following that might help the cause of HP in this case...the HD 4850 appears to be an effiicent card, and the listed actual draw in the following test is well under 300 watts...FYI.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-4850-and--4870-crossfirex-performance/3

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation