Question

Top Student
PintoRosa
Message 1 of 12 (435 Views)
Accepted Solution

Graphics Card

I There,

Please, I have a workstation xw8000 (Windows XP Pro 2002 SP2) and I am trying to replace the existing graphics card by another one (NVIDIA Quadro FX3400/4400) with auxiliary power supply, for my surprise I do not find the cable from the PSU. Do I have to buy a new PSU? Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Distinguished Professor
HardBeatZ
Message 2 of 12 (407 Views)

Graphics Card

Hello PintoRosa,

The video card requires additional power to be supplied to it. NVIDIA supplies an adapter to do this, I don't have that specific video card, but most video cards I have received from PNY came with the adapters needed.

If they didn't supply one you will need to acquire one. This is what you would need, you can find them at any computer shop or online retailer.
http://goo.gl/33Q74

With that being said that's your first option, your second option is to upgrade your power supply, depending on the power supply already included and the new card being added you may need to anyways.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have helped you in any way click the Kudos button to say Thanks.
The community works together, click Accept as Solution on the post that solves your issue for other members of the community to benefit from the solution.
- Friendship is magical.
Top Student
PintoRosa
Message 3 of 12 (390 Views)

Re: Graphics Card

Thanks a million. You were very helpful.

Jaime PintoRosa

Top Student
PintoRosa
Message 4 of 12 (365 Views)

I there,

Sorry to bother you again. A problem never comes alone. Just to confirm, a NVIDIA Quadro FX 3400/4400 -Graphics bus PCI Express 2.0 x16---RAMDAC 400 MHz. Can not be installed in a hp Workstation xw8000.

Many Thanks.

PR

Distinguished Professor
HardBeatZ
Message 5 of 12 (314 Views)

Graphics Card

Hello PintoRosa,

I don't see any reason why I wouldn't work.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The community works together, click Accept as Solution on the post that solves your issue for other members of the community to benefit from the solution.
- Friendship is magical.
Top Student
PintoRosa
Message 6 of 12 (312 Views)

Hello,

Thanks for your feedback.

Sorry my ignorance but, NVIDIA Quadro FX 3400/4400 –The Graphics bus is PCI Express 2.0 x16---RAMDAC 400 MHz. And the hp Workstation xw8000 has

PCI-X 1.0 64b/133MHz

PCI-X 1.0 64b/100MHz

PCI 2.2 32b/33MHz

AGP 8x Pro 50 (50w)

Apparently this card does not feet in these slots. (Sorry if I am wrong).

Many Thanks

PintoRosa

Distinguished Professor
HardBeatZ
Message 7 of 12 (311 Views)

Graphics Card

Ahh ya if you don't have a PCI express slot then the card will not work. You need to get a video card that supports AGP.
- Friendship is magical.
Top Student
PintoRosa
Message 8 of 12 (309 Views)

Please,

Do you know , good video cards for (AutoCad, 3dsMax, SolidWorks) that supports AGP?

Thanks.

Distinguished Professor
HardBeatZ
Message 9 of 12 (307 Views)

Graphics Card

I can't give any recommendations as I haven't used an AGP card in years. AGP has been surpassed by PCIe cards in terms of raw power.

I did a google search on AGP video card and auto cad and came across a few threads discussing the issue with a few different ideas thrown around.

See this thread
http://goo.gl/VLjzh

This article was interesting as some of these cards may be good for auto cad even though the article is written for gaming.
http://goo.gl/wQUAo
- Friendship is magical.
Top Student
PintoRosa
Message 10 of 12 (301 Views)

Many Thanks, for your help.

PintoRosa

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation