Question

Honor Student
smith98070
Message 1 of 7 (1,321 Views)

Green light on, but no power to monitor/keyboard/mouse etc

I have an HP Slimline s5120f, with windows vista, purchased in August of 2009. The fans were going into a sort of turbo mode more and more often (used to be once every few days, now up to several times an hour), so I took the side panel off to remove the dust that I assumed was causing excess heat. I blew everything off, and unscrewed the fan over what I think is the processor (3x3" aluminum like square thing?) to get at the major dust underneath. Used a small vacuum to remove the dust layer. I regularly have been vacuuming the vent areas but needed to get to the inside this time.

I replugged everything in, computer starts up and fans are running ince and quietly. Only problem is I have no power to the monitor, keyboard or mouse. The green light is on near the power cord, the on/off button on top is blue as is the blue front light. I tried putting a sandisk memory card into the slot and there was no green light nearby to indicate I had inserted anything.

I have checked and rechecked everything is plugged in on the inside of the computer, I am just worried I ruined something somehow. I was very gentle and besides screwing and inscrewing the fan I didn't really touch anything.

Any thoughts? I googled and googled but never found anything quite like this. I did notice when I would plug my ethernet cable in, the yellow light was dull and blinked a bit. As I plug my mouse into a USB port, the red light underneath the mouse would blink on then die.

What did I do??

Associate Dean
wb2001
Message 2 of 7 (1,259 Views)

Re: Green light on, but no power to monitor/keyboard/mouse etc

smith,

An electric vacuum should never be used inside the computer. It will generate static charges which have the ability to fry internal components.

To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved.
You can render both Solution and KUDO

The Law of Effect states that positive reinforcement increases the probability of a behavior being repeated. (B.F.Skinner). You toss me points, and I perform better.

(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
HP m9200t CTO,Win7 Pro 32 bit. 4GB RAM, ASUS 550Ti 2GB, Rosewill 630W. 1T HD SATA 3Gb/s
Custom Asus P8P67, I7-2600k, 16GB RAM, WIN7 Pro 64bit, EVGA GTX660 2GB, 750W Corsair, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
Custom Asus P8Z77, I7-3770k, 16GB RAM, WIN7 Pro 64bit, EVGA GTX670 2GB, 750W Corsair, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
Both Customs use Rosewill Blackhawk case.
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus
Honor Student
smith98070
Message 3 of 7 (1,256 Views)

I was worried about that, but the vacum was kept at least an inch away from any part of the computer at all times, it was just to help suck up the dislodged dust as it was blown out so it didn't fall on other parts.

I won't be able to take it in until tomorrow, so was hoping someone might be able to give me a hint what is wrong with it and if it is a simple fix.

Grad Student
lmann
Message 4 of 7 (1,251 Views)

@smith98070,

You said you "unscrewed the fan over ... the processor ... to get at the major dust underneath".  That means that you removed the heatsink.  Between the heatsink and the processor is a very thin layer of a thermal compound or paste.  That thermal compound is critical.  It fills any tiny gaps between those two components, and aids in heat distribution.  It is critical to replace that thermal compond whenever you remove the heatsink assembly.  Aside from future over-heating issues, not having a good seal between those components can cause the symptoms you are describing.

The most recommended, best quality replacement thermal compound is Arctic Silver 5.  Good directions for application from Arctic Silver 5 here.  And HP shows a picture of applying new thermal compound here

Good luck!

Honor Student
smith98070
Message 5 of 7 (1,247 Views)

Thank you,

That seems closer to where my problem must have originated but I never took the slotted aluminum like "block" off, only the fan part. The HP tutorial shows the fan and metal thing underneath being removed, and I didn't get near the stuff underneath.

The computer has worked flawlessly for the past 2 years, but I live near many wheat fields being combined right now so the dust in the air is ridiculous and it finally seemed to be too much for the fans to cool everything well enough. Sounds like I must have shocked something or bumped something out of place somehow. I just dont see how everything works and the mouse gets a blip of power when plugged into the back USB port but then nothing.

Grad Student
lmann
Message 6 of 7 (1,238 Views)

Sorry that didn't work for you.  That would have been an easy fix!

Associate Dean
wb2001
Message 7 of 7 (1,223 Views)

Smith,

I understood you did not remove the heatsink. If you believe you might have dislodged something, run thru the self-help:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documentSubCategory?tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&jumpid=re...

As you pick a task, perform the steps, and then attempt to re-boot the machine.

Unplug the monitor power, and video cable. wait 1 min. Re-install those cables, and turn monitor ON.

Re-seat all the cabling, on-by-one.

Reseat the memory modules.

To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved.
You can render both Solution and KUDO

The Law of Effect states that positive reinforcement increases the probability of a behavior being repeated. (B.F.Skinner). You toss me points, and I perform better.

(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
HP m9200t CTO,Win7 Pro 32 bit. 4GB RAM, ASUS 550Ti 2GB, Rosewill 630W. 1T HD SATA 3Gb/s
Custom Asus P8P67, I7-2600k, 16GB RAM, WIN7 Pro 64bit, EVGA GTX660 2GB, 750W Corsair, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
Custom Asus P8Z77, I7-3770k, 16GB RAM, WIN7 Pro 64bit, EVGA GTX670 2GB, 750W Corsair, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
Both Customs use Rosewill Blackhawk case.
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation