Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi Sid,

The HD4650 is a low performing video processor.  The cards that you mentioned are middle-to-high end but all will require a power supply of 500 to 600 watts depending on the card.   The 6970 might be problematic due to it's length and power requirements.

The Sapphire 6850 might be a very good choice based on cost/performance.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

thnx for your reply. as u said i would try getting the sapphire 6850 . can you please also tell me how to upgrade the ram. the pc has 4 gb ram right now

HP Recommended

Hi,

I recommend that you try one thing at a time.

1. Install the new PSU and get your PC stable
  2. Install the new video card and get your PC stable. Do you now need improved performance due to the lack of memory or lack of CPU power or both?
  3. If CPU constrained, then upgrade the processor.
  4. To use more than 4GB then you need do a clean install of the 64 bit OS if you are running a 32 bit OS.
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

hi dave. yea as u said i wil get the gpu and the psu setup. but i have always wanted to try a nvidia gfx card . i have never tried it and have been using the ati card all the time. can you please tell me for sure that the gtx 560 ti might or might not fit in the eureka motherboard. otherwise no issues and i will go with the sapphire radeon. 

HP Recommended

Hi Sid,

EVGA has 4 models of the NVIDIA 560 TI all of which are 9" in length.  The card should fit but measure just to be sure.  The slot adjacent to the PCI-E x16 slot needs to be vacant.

For the power supply, try the Corsair CX500.  It's on sale.

These HP 'how-to" articles should be helpful.

HP Recommended

Hello,

I don't know much about computers, and I have a few questions and I would very much appreciate some help.

I will be purchasing an HP ENVY phoenix h9-1300t with a 2G Nvidia GTX 680 and am curious if the stock cooling unit this computer comes with will be enough to keep it from overheating during extended gaming(2+ hours)?  Does the stock case have much ventilation?  I have been looking around onlint at cooling cases and am wondering if it is worth investing in one of these?  If so, could you please help me pick one that would fit?  The dimensions of the PC are 16.22 x 6.89 x 16.34 in.

I was also wondring if the motherborad this computer comes built with (ipmmb-fm (formosa)) can support 2 Nvidia GTX 680 or similar Nvidia cards?  If so, what would be the recommended power supply?  I am NOT likely to go out an buy another GTX 680 right away.  I am aware that this card will be sufficient for my needs for several years.  However, in the future it may be necessary to install an additional video card and I would like to know if I would also need another motherboard.
Also, I was curious if there is anything else in general I should know about keeping a computer with a high-end video card(s) from overheating?  Of course I will keep it in a decently ventilated room and will be buying a small tabletop fan to keep pointed at it when needed.

Thank you very much,

Joshua

HP Recommended

Hi Josh,

I haven't seen HP certify the consumer line of PCs for dual discrete video cards more or less SLI and Crossfire operation.

Heat concern?  The 680 is a high wattage card.  I don't know the efficiency rating for HP 600 watt power supply nor do I know what size the exhaust fan is in the power supply.  However, there are other power supplies that probably have a higher efficiency rating and also have a larger exhaust fan.  A replacement PSU would be be my first choice as an option.  A bigger case with more fans and larger fans would be another option.

Additional cooling ideas: PCI slot cooling fan and vented PCI slot covers.  These may help some.

HP Recommended
Thank you Dave,
I was also wondering if the i5 3570k can be safely overclocked on the HP ipmmb-FM Formosa motherboard?
HP Recommended

Hi Josh,

HP locks down the bios on most of the PCs so overclocking is not possible. Think what it would do the warranty and support issues.

I did see one HP PC with a CPU speed control function in the bios but I haven't researched exactly what the bios CPU speed changes would actually end up doing for performance.

HP Recommended

dave!! i went to the videocardz website. and searched for radeon 6850. it says interface pci-e 2.1 x 16. what does this mean

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.