Question

Honor Student
gamescan
Message 1 of 3 (1,873 Views)

HELP - New Computer with bad memory card - HP TS Says NO WARRANTY and refuses to help!

I bought a HP m9500y this week from Micro Center (one of HP's authorized resellers).

Brought it home, got it setup and registered it online. Provided a copy of the receipt with my online registration to qualify for the free Windows 7 update disc (the computer is an older model that shipped with Vista).

Found out that the memory card slot was bad.

Called HP Tech Support and they claimed that the computer had NO WARRANTY, despite the paperwork in the box and my receipt claiming otherwise. Attempted to escalate to a manager but he refused to help, despite my offer to email him a copy of the receipt on-the-spot.

Is there any way to get ahold of someone actually *AT* HP (rather than outsourced, off-shore, tech support that can't do anything other than read off a script?) who can help get this sorted? It seems incredibly stupid that a customer who just paid a few hundred dollars for a machine is left in the lurch because HP can't get their internal warranty data sorted properly.

Thanks.

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 3 (1,848 Views)

Re: HELP - New Computer with bad memory card - HP TS Says NO WARRANTY and refuses to help!

HI,

I would just take it back to Micro Center and let them replace it and sort out the defective product with HP. My first stop when I have a problem with any big ticket product that I buy is the vendor.  

That is my own opinion. 

regards,

erico 

****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
gamescan
Message 3 of 3 (1,799 Views)

Re: HELP - New Computer with bad memory card - HP TS Says NO WARRANTY and refuses to help!

Finally think I got this resolved.

HP Tech Support was -zero- help. Even the managers at the Calcutta office have no ability to do anything or make any decisions.

Called corporate (650-857-1501) and was connected to what HP calls "Executive Customer Service." They connected me to a case manager who was able to resolve the issue within the span of a half hour. The replacement part should be here next week and the warranty date is getting reset today according to the woman I spoke with.

I have no issue with global companies outsourcing their support but when they do so they need to empower support to solve problems and not completely neuter them.

If the standard support line isn't helping out and you've waited a few days, don't be shy in calling corporate.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation