Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I am trying to upgrade the RAM in my HP 18-5010 All-in-One.  I opened the back, but nothing looks like a RAM slot back there.  No instructions provided with the package I received.  The user guide at this link, inexplicably, makes no mention whatsoever of this topic.

I have plenty of experience upgrading RAM in tower and other desktops as well as laptops and have never had this problem.  The link given by searching this site under my model name and "RAM" is this -- utterly inapplicable for my model.

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Dear Customer,

Welcome to HP Support Forum and we are glad to assist you

Please reply to this Post with full Model and Product Number of your Notebook and the full version of the Operating

System you are using (For Example: Windows 7/8/8.1 and 32/64 Bit Operating System) so I can find the hardware

reference guide

Please revert for immediate assistance

Regards,

K N R K

I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

The specs for yout motherboard (here) say that you have two 204-pin DDR3 SODIMM sockets. These ram slots look different from previous desktop ram slots. You can find videos on how to change this ram out by using this link.

I work on behalf of HP, but my opinions are my own.

Please click the "Thumbs up + button" if I have helped you and click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. If both apply......do both.
HP Recommended

Hi. I don't have a notebook.  See the reference line?  That has the model number in it: "18-5010," just as it says on the back of my computer.

The product number is F3E02AA#ABA.

Why would the OS have anything to do with the question of where the RAM slot is (or if two, are)?  Since you asked, however, the answer is Windows 8.1.  It's the 64-bit processor.

HP Recommended

I guess we're getting warmer.  But not a lot.

You sent me a link to videos based on the following search:  "upgrading DDR3 SODIMM ram"

That does not answer my question.  I know how to change RAM.  From what I see in these videos, these RAM sticks look a lot like laptop RAM.

Great.  But none of them answers the question I asked in the title of my post and in the body of my post:  where is the RAM located in my computer?

Now, from the looks of what you sent me, these slots are nestled right into the motherboard.  Does that mean I have to unscrew the motherboard, which as I remember from when I opened the back of the unit is (of course) facing "downward" in order to get access to them and add RAM?

And why on earth is this information so hard to find?  Isn't model-specific RAM upgrading information something that should be accessible at the very least on the HP website by either searching or somewhere in the specs?

HP Recommended

I am very sorry that you are having such a hard time finding the information that you are looking for on the HP support website. The motherboard spec link that I gave you earlier has a picture of the ram slots as well as a section titled 'Memory upgrade information'. You are correct it does look like laptop ram. Your computer has two 204-pin DDR3 SODIMM sockets which is why I linked the video that I did. I am attaching a picture of your motherboard with the ram slots circled. I hope that this answers all of your questions. If not simply reply again below and I will get back to you promptly.Almond.jpg

Please click the "Thumbs up + button" if I have helped you and click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. If both apply......do both.
HP Recommended

I know you're trying to help.  I recognize the slots; I have seen such slots before.  They are also clear in the videos.

But.  Let me explain:  I don't have a motherboard in front of me.  I have a computer.  The computer is in a case, which has a back.  

When I remove the back of the computer, yes, I understand there is a motherboard in there.  I do not, however, see what you are showing me.  That is, I surmise, because the "works" of the motherboard are face down.  I don't know this because what I am seeing is a flat surface that is attached by two screws.  In other words:

The slots are not visible when the back of the computer is opened.

In the past -- when replacing RAM on notebooks, for example, which as you acknowledge is very similar to this -- I have been able to gain access to the RAM slots without disconnecting or unscrewing anything, unless you count unscrewing an external hatch at the bottom of the laptop.

Here there is no such access. You can imagine that, as a non-technical person, I have some reluctance about unscrewing internal components of a my brand new computer, especially something as sensitive as the motherboard.  It does not seem like a very user-friendly way to design things, but I understand that this is a value-priced product.  Fine; I can live in that world.  But am I missing anything?

HP Recommended

I am glad that you are familiar with the steps involved in changing your ram. I attached the photo in hopes that it would serve as a kind of map giving you a refrence point as to where the access panel should be located. I have also always been able to use an access port to swap ram. If for some strange reason your computer does not have one then you will need to open the machine to accomplish your goal. This can be an intimidating proceedure, and I highly encourage you to seek out a professional if you are uncomfortable performing it yourself.

HP Recommended

Ok, thanks Sad Panda.  It appears that you are not at all familiar with this computer, which indeed does not have an access panel.  The reason is not strange; it is common:  You can't access the RAM slots, panel or not, from the back -- even if the case is opened.  And it would have added to the cost by quite a bit to have avoided that.

Thanks for trying, but please realize that because you were not actually familiar with the computer I am writing about, you ended up sending me on a couple of dead-end searches, thinking I was missing something obvious.  Live and learn, I guess!

I do hope someone from HP who actually knows the answer based on familiarity with the product will eventually offer some assistance.  If I end up hiring someone to do the upgrade, then my savings on the computer will be up in smoke.  I expect HP to provide this answer even to the purchaser of a lower-end product -- I certainly have bought enough of its other ones as well anyway...

HP Recommended

I guess HP doesn't believe I'm entitled to an answer to this simple question.  What a disappointment.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.