Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I am just another computer user, but it sounds like you have it figured out.  Aparently HP considers what you want to not be a user servicable task.  So your choices are do the dissassembly yourself, or take it to a professional and have them do it.

If you do it yourself, then I suggest you get a grounding strap and wear it when touching the motherboard.  Make sure there is no power to it, disconnect the cables that are accessible and can be removed to make pulling the MB out cleaner.  It will help if you photodocument those connections before and after you pull them so you can put them back correctly.  From the motherboard picture I would expect you to have to remove 4 screws rather than 2, but you see it and it should be obvious.  If you are gentle and careful, you shouldn't have a problem.

If that process is too uncomfortable, then take it to a Best Buy or Staples or any place that does computer repair and pay to have it done.  Then if things go wrong, you will have someone to blame other than yourself.

Good luck.

HP Recommended

Thanks.  I think we figured out the same thing.  I appreciate the guidance regarding the grounding strap.  And, yes, I have already opened the back:  It's four screws all right.

I may yet do it myself.  As I mentioned earlier, once I pay for someone that much nerdier than myself to perform this task, I may as well have gotten a computer that was better provisioned out of the box in the first place.  I was, of course, aware of the relatively low amount of RAM, but anticipated very light duty for this machine -- mainly working via a fast Internet connection and a VPN on a virtual desktop.  I'm not doing gaming or media or  would not even have considered a computer with these specifications.

I'm still disappointed, of course, above all by the lack of candor.

HP Recommended

You pays your money and you picks your tune.

To be honest, I didn't see any lack of candor.  Until you explained that you had opened it and the motherboard was upside down I was right with the others.  You came off sounding like you knew what you were doing, and got encouragement for handling it well.  Only after you explained your issues did it become clear that you needed handholding.

HP Recommended

I had the same problem RDC85.  Disappointed that HP hasn't gotten up to speed with a 1 minute video or even a picture.  Here are the steps:

1. Loosen the 2 screws at the bottom they don't come all the way out.
  2. The bottom will pop up.
  3. Use a screw driver and gently go around the computer to lift off the back.
  4. The RAM slots are located under the box on the right side, where the usb ports are.
  5. Remove the 4 screws and lift that box
  6. There are 2 RAM slots
  7. The RAM lays flat like it does in a laptop.

This is an easy upgrade that just about anyone should be able to do.  :generic:

1. HP 18 5110 RAM.JPG 
HP Recommended

After seeing how this thread started out, I was a little concerned that this memory upgrade was going to be complicated and time consuming.  I have taken my wife's iMac apart so I know what a pain an all-in-one can be.  Thanks to RegTemple's post it took all of 5 minutes.

HP Recommended

Just pull the back off, good grief. If you know how to do it then it should not be this difficult for you. Pull off the back, pop out the RAM- it lays flat on the board just like in a notebook, because THAT IS WHAT IS INSIDE THE CASE.

http://www.linkedin.com/in/csatterfield/

Current Certification 2013

Ver 8

Ver 7

CCNA in May 2014

Nothing screams poor workmanship more than wrinkles in the duct tape
HP Recommended

I didn't see it that way. I agree with RDC85 that s/he was not getting the answer he needed.
I think the lack of candor he's speaking of was just frustration that nobody in HP was responding to the question
because at that point it appeared the upgrade was not a simple access panel. But maybe the "lack of candor"
was simply a lack of response or attention to this thread though.
    Anyway, it is not the fault of Panda for not knowing the exact answer. At least s/he was trying to help, but RDC85 was correct that it would have been better if Panda had said right out that s/he was not familiar with the
HP 18 hardware.
      Having said all that; my Dad bought this "thing" and couldn't use it so I inherited it. It was all messed up, so I used the restore feature to return it to it's original Windows 8.1 new configuration. What I found was that the dog slowness of the unit was caused by HP's pre-installed McAfee anti-virus on-demand. It was sucking the cpu right out of the machine. I watched it in task manager pegged between 70 to 90% and then it all made sense why even the desktop icons were blank. The cpu was so pegged by the anti-virus software that it could not even generate the images. When I shut off the anti-virus, the machine behaved properly. I re-installed the McAfee that came with my ATT service and it behaves OK, but I again shut off the site minder portion of McAfee since it was slowing down the system a little too much when browsing; but not nearly as bad as the original buggy McAfee preinstalled with the unit. I decided to upgrade the memory to 8gb to see if that will help which is why I'm reading this. Maybe someone did a youtube video of it.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.