HP 1TB Personal Media Drive Buzzing Noise (6502 Views)
Honor Student
kdp12
Message 1 of 48 (6,502 Views)

HP 1TB Personal Media Drive Buzzing Noise

I bought a 1TB PMD a little over a month ago and it's worked perfectly fine in my m9600t desktop until this afternoon when the PMD started making loud noises.  From what I could gather online, it looks like it's the internal fan that's the source of the noise, which sounds exactly like in the vid clip below (not my video):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSMzHyp6c0c

It looks like there has been a bit of complaints about the PMD and loud noises/noisy fans.  I read that someone suggested to remove the drive to let it cool for a while before re-inserting, which I did.  It stayed quiet for about 1 hour before the noise came back.  Now, the noise has been popping in and out every 30 minutes or so for about 30 seconds at a time.  Some have reported that the noise eventually went away, but I'm worried that if the fan eventually goes that the drive will fail.  Should I be concerned?

Intern
QuarkCharm
Message 2 of 48 (6,471 Views)

Re: HP 1TB Personal Media Drive Buzzing Noise

Sorry to say I'm not too familiar with the HP PMD.  But is it possible to have a look inside the units to make sure the Fan itself making the noise.  If it is then eventually it is likely that the fan will fail.  This will lead to a temperature build up within the unit.  Although It is unlikely that the temp will become sufficient to fail the HDD, it is a risk I would not take.  Given the units age I would be very tempted to return the product for a replacement -or- Refund.

Student
mediadriver
Message 3 of 48 (6,452 Views)

I have been having the same problem, I contacted HP support and went through about 2 hours of useless banter. They are sending me a box to send the unit back, BUT be ready to find someplace to put your info on the drive, they don't fix it they send you a new one! I had to buy another drive to put all my stuff onto so I can send the old one back. Also Don't try to do this online, they will only send you a sorry note and the phone number to call 1-800-474-6836 they will want you to fax proof of purchase to 1-800-563-4860.

They also gave me an email address to send proof of purchase too,

hp.pop@mail.support.hp.com

I give you this in the hope it will save you some time, the service people I talked with had such thick accents that it was a lot of "Can you repeat that?"

Good luck!

Honor Student
kdp12
Message 4 of 48 (6,422 Views)

Thanks for all the responses.  As I had expected, I'll be contacting HP soon to deal with the drive.  Thankfully I have no issues accessing the drive at the moment and can take any necessary data off of it.

Student
morton12qaz
Message 5 of 48 (6,196 Views)

Ordered a 500 GB Personal Media Drive form the HP store in Jan 2010.  Worked great for 1 month then fan noises starting in Feb 2010.

Very loud fan noises whether in or out of drive bay.

Called HP technical support in March 2010.  India (the country) answered the phone.  Nice guy but within 5 minutes asked "do you have a screw driver?".  I said, "NO".  Didn't want to go down that patch.  Told me to "format drive".  I said "NO" - didn't want to lose my data.  Told me I would have to "open the chassis and reset the drive".  I said "NO".

I had enough nonsense and demanded to be transferred to his supervisor.  New guy came on and said HP would allow a reapir.

HP Fedex'd a pre-paid return box and I mailed the drive on March 9 2010.

What can I say?  My 500 GB PMD has a faulty fan (I know because I've replaced CPU fans in the past), probably bad bearings or sleave.  HP India speaks English but it took a 54 minute telecon for them to send me a pre-paid box (they said I would have to pay shipping so not sure what that's about???).

DO you think anyone from HP management or leadership reads this forum?  I doubt so.  Do you think there is an issue with PMD fans?  Probably.  Do you think anyone from HP cares?

Honor Student
kevin972
Message 6 of 48 (5,939 Views)

This is my second drive in less than one month.  Obviously this is a manufacturing issue.  Until people speak loud enough, these QA issues will not be addressed.  They reassured me that this was unusual to have two in a row do the same thing..but think about it..not if there is an issue with design or cooling that would cause premature failure of the components.  The drive works find, ie, stores data..but data is lost every time they send me a new drive.  Made in Thailand..mabe by a "red" supporter...trying to "make some noise"..for their movement...lol..sorry:smileyvery-happy:...just gotta laugh at the ineptitude of this whole process...

Student
jgspears
Message 7 of 48 (5,657 Views)

I had the same issue and after much frustration with cutomer service they replaced the 1 TB drive with a new 2 TB drive.  That drive worked a couple of weeks and then the same problem of noise developed. 

On the phone now with the absolutely pitiful help desk for 28 minutes and still trying to arrange a replacement.  I even held a phone receiver to the noisey drive but they have their procedures.  They wanted me to format the drive, etc. 

As you say a definite quality issue but not only with production but also with tech support. 

Honor Student
cool16v
Message 8 of 48 (5,164 Views)

Long story short- I bought the 500GB Media Drive and sent it to the repair center to get fixed.  They lost it and sent me a replacement MD (2T drive).  I appreciated the upgrade but within a couple of days, this drive has the same exact problem.

I'm still debating on whether or not to go through all the HP hoops to get this fixed. TBD.

Honor Student
kevin972
Message 9 of 48 (5,160 Views)

I have to laugh when I read these posts.  I sent two drives back each with the same problem...noisey fan.  They tried to tell me it was my computer...I could blow into the back of the fan drive, make it whirl and duplicate the noise. 

That there are this many problems should have suggested a design or parts problem.  I believe it was heat related\design.  I have elected to put the drive in and out, ie., when not using it, I take it out.  I have not had any problems with the third drive.....

Honor Student
cool16v
Message 10 of 48 (5,146 Views)

I actually get very discouraged with the fact that we post these problems on this user forum and tech support suggest it is not a hardware problem.

While I know those support folks are following a script and going through their troubleshooting process it's awfully painful to have to explain to them over and over that suspect it's a problem with their hardware.

I suspect it's a fan and not the disk itself.  Does anyone know how to open one of these drives?

Is there a way we can group together to get this issue addressed and resolved once and for all? 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation