HP 500b MT (4451 Views)
Honor Student
saksingj
Message 1 of 6 (4,451 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP 500b MT

Hi. I was considering buying hp 500b mt XP036EA#B1R with 4 gb or ram. The product comes with an integrated video only, so i would have to replace it with a dedicated one - however, i need to know whether this computer supports memory remapping, so when using 1 gb graphics for example, the 4 gb ram remains usable for 64bit os.

Please reply only if you know.

Thanks you.

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 6 (4,434 Views)

Re: HP 500b MT

If you install a video card that has 1 GB of video RAM installed and are using Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit then the motherboard's BIOS will disable the use of shared memory on its own. That means the video card will use its own memory and not that which is installed in the motherboard's DIMM slots. 

Best regards,

erico

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
saksingj
Message 3 of 6 (4,432 Views)

Thank you, but that was not exactly what i was asking - you were talking about the integrated graphics chip on the board; however, i was asking whether, when i install an 1 gb video card, i can still use full 4gb ram if using 64 bit windows.

To clarify that, on my current machine, which is using intel 945cd chipset, i have 4 gb ram installed on it, but only 3,25 gb is usable by the 64 bit windows os, becouse i also have 512 mb video adapter and that motherboard only supports 4 gb total memory, and has no knowledge of "memory remapping" technology.

So i ant to know if the hp 500b computer i was referring to, has this "memory remapping" support and thus can use 4gb ram PLUS 1gb vide card memory.

Thanks.

Honor Student
saksingj
Message 4 of 6 (4,421 Views)

Anyone?

Provost
erico
Message 5 of 6 (4,417 Views)

[ Edited ]

I just took a look at the preproduction BIOS simulator. It does not appear to have memory remapping support enabled. There actually are not many OEM manufactured PC motherboards that have it.

BIOS1.JPG 

Best regards,

erico

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
saksingj
Message 6 of 6 (4,411 Views)

Thank you for your trouble. It means that this otherwise well-designed product does not fit my needs after all.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation