Question

Honor Student
JP-CITS
Message 1 of 4 (2,879 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Compaq dc5750 Small-FF No AHCI Option in BIOS

I work for an organisation which have lots (400+) of this model of PC in use. We are experiencing slow hard drive access issues. All the documentation and forums I can find online talk about AHCI being an option in the CMOS settings and I'd like to try this, but all of our dc5750s have no such option - they have only Legacy IDE, Native IDE (currently the one we're using) and RAID. The connections to the MoBo are physically SATA.

I am aware that we will need to furnish the OS with SATA drivers in order to boot (since we are using XP), and we have done this successfully on other PC models, but that is not the issue. I am interested to know why the AHCI option is not available in the BIOS when everyone else with this model seems to report having it there.

I have updated the BIOS to the latest v2.35.

Many thanks.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 4 (2,866 Views)

Re: HP Compaq dc5750 Small-FF No AHCI Option in BIOS

Hi:

I have provided the link to the dc5750 BIOS setup guide.

There is no ACHI option. Default is Native IDE if you are not in RAID configuration. The ACHI setting came out in models that succeeded this series.

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00765938/c00765938.pdf

There is a SATA power management setting that enables or disables SATA bus and/or device power management.

I don't know what the default setting should be for that.

My suggestion is to set the BIOS to its defaults.

Paul

Honor Student
JP-CITS
Message 3 of 4 (2,862 Views)

Paul,

Thank you so much - such a fast reply.

The PDF file you sent correctly reflects the options in CMOS settings - ie no AHCI mode.

What was confusing me is that there are other service manuals in circulation for the dc5750 which say otherwise. These were the only ones I had seen until you posted your link. Odd. But thanks for clearing this up, at least I don't feel I'm going mad.

JP

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 4 (2,860 Views)

You're very welcome.

I hope you get the issue sorted out.

I have a dc7600. SATA II controller.

No ACHI setting in the BIOS. Runs fine.

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation