Question

Top Student
watson4664
Message 1 of 12 (614 Views)

HP ENVY 700-210xt hard drive configuration

I have ordered a new HP ENVY 700-210xt desktop and the configuration sheet says that this unit has 3 x 3.5" disk drive slots and 2 x 5.25" slots.

I have been trying for 3 days now to find out if these drives slots are in the same drive cage and what drive size is shipped if you order only one drive or choose to order a second hard drive.

I image someone at HP knows this but here is the problem.  Since I just ordered it I don't have a serial number yet so Tech support won't talk with me.  Sales has told me this and that now I don't trust what they said.

Can anyone provide more insite on the 5 available drive slots, where they are and how they are populated?

Thanks!

Dean
Vidya
Message 2 of 12 (611 Views)

Re: HP ENVY 700-210xt hard drive configuration

The following Maintenence and service guide helps you with all the interior lookup of the chassis:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02871896.pdf

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***
Top Student
watson4664
Message 3 of 12 (607 Views)

Thanks for the followup.  Actually I already looked at this service guide but it just shows how to replace a drive and does not cover my question if this drive cage is meant to hold both the 3.5" and the 5.25" drives.   Sales told me that the 5.25 drives are the first to be populated and I'm hoping to verify this.  So If in fact I orderd 3 hard drives with the system I would get the following.   Drive 1 -  5.25"  Drive 2 - 5.25"  Drive 3 - 3.5".

This may be correct but doesn't make much sense to me. 

Dean
Vidya
Message 4 of 12 (603 Views)

To my knowledge, this product has a seperate hard drive cage in which you can put 3 hard drives. You can refer removal and replacement procedure of hard drive.

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***
Top Student
airstang
Message 5 of 12 (562 Views)

I just received a NEW in box Envy 700-210xt desktop PC.  The case does not conform to the design shown in the suggested service instruction guide.

I want to install an second, additional drive in one of the 2 empty drive bays.

My case has 3 slanted slots which receive the hard drive.  It is not a removable "cage."  The case appears to be a new design where four 6-32 screws with raisted heads are screwed into the hard drive. These screws guide the drive into grooves and lock the drive into place.  The drives don't screw directly into the case, but slide and lock into place. 

There is even a small graphic with a screwdriver that has a line through it, as if to say, no screwdriver needed.  On the back of the case side panel, there is a graphic which show just sliding a drive into the slot.  The problem is there are no extra screws provided to guide a new drive into the slot.  

My question... where do I get screws to add additional 3.5 inch drives into these newly designed bays.

I can provide photos if necessary, but hopefully someone at HP knows about this design change and can help me buy some screws!

Please help....

Top Student
watson4664
Message 6 of 12 (557 Views)

I have experienced the same problem and HP has been of no help.  I have called both Tech Support and HP parts with the same question and their answer is that they don't have the necessary screws available or even in their parts list.  I was so frustrated that I canceled my additional year of service support since HP can't even answer this simple question.

HP's main response is that this desktop is so new that they do not have any parts list available.  I finally went to home depot and found some regular screws that were the correct thread size  but had to cut them shorter.  It seems to work but is not what I wanted to do.

I hope someone at HP actually looks at these issues and follows up.  I sent a evaluation form to HP after my unsuccesful attempt and requested a managment call back but it has not happened.

Good luck.

Top Student
watson4664
Message 7 of 12 (547 Views)

Look at the following website.  click under Desktop screws and look for the item I listed below.

It looks to me that this screw will work.  I ordered the smallest quantity and hope that they will work OK.  They are not expensive so I am willing to take the chance. 

http://www.laptopscrews.com/success.htm

Desktop Computer

Hard Drive Zinc

Hex Head Machine Screw

6-32 x 1/4

Top Student
airstang
Message 8 of 12 (543 Views)

I saw that same website for screws.  That is a standard hard drive or computer case screw.  I don't believe that the head will be raised enough to work.  The slot system seems to need the taller head to lock into place.  

But, having said all that, please let me know what happens, I don't see anyone from HP coming up with a part number for the proper screw.

I'd still like to know where to get the correct hardware...

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 9 of 12 (441 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Go to the local hardware store and look for some allen head #6 - 32 threads/inch screws.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad, HP Chromebook 11
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Top Student
watson4664
Message 10 of 12 (423 Views)

I did finally go to home depot and found some screws that partially work.  The problem is that if you use anything but the OEM screw the drive will not be snug in the cage.  I can't believe that HP can't provide a part number and access to spare screws.

Also as a suggestion to anyone adding drives, I added a Seagate 1TB hybrid drive (ST100DX001) and then cloned the OEM 1TB drive onto it.  The hybrid drive is smoking fast, takes about 4-5 seconds from power on to the logon screen.  I then ordered a second Seagate hybrid 2TB drive (ST2000DX001) as a data drive and the HP OEM drive I just put in the last cage slot without connecting it.  Now if I ever have a catastrophic failure I can just clone the OEM drive again and start over.  I did have most of my apps on the OEM drive before cloning it so I won't lose too much.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation