Question

Tutor
J_Mike
Message 1 of 7 (1,181 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Envy 700-216 Desktop Graphics Questions Adjusting Memory

[ Edited ]

My computer, running Windows 8.1, has an A-10 GPU, with HD 8670D in-processor graphics.  I know it uses system memory.  I was able to find that it was using 768 MB of the 12 GB of PC12800 (1600) RAM.  I can't find out where, or if it is possible to adjust it to use more of my system memory.

Would it actually help to use a bit more, as I doubt I'm coming close to useing it all anyway?  Can I adjust it, is it possible?  I've tried looking through just about every setting, but didn't see anything at all to get to this setting.   I did notice a few things seemed to take activation in the BIOS, but not knowing what they did exactly, I didn't change anything.  I also looked all through the Catalyst and saw nothing there either, to adjust it.

One of the reasons I got an A-10 (A-Series) processor is that I read that later you can add a graphics card, and that it would work with the GPU graphics to make for a better combined graphics experience.  But I noticed in the Motherboard (MS-7778 Jasmine) specifications the comment "If PCI-E card is installed you won't have on-board graphics"  or something of the sort.  I wondered, does that mean you can't plug into those jacks on the motherboard, or that the Graphics portion of the A-10 processor simply goes dormant?

Any help on these matters would be helpful, as well as suggestions of the best PCI-E graphics to get.  I already have a 550 Watt power supply around here somewhere--just need to find it and check to see if it has all the proper plugs.  Thanks!

James

Provost
old_geekster
Message 2 of 7 (1,158 Views)

Re: HP Envy 700-216 Desktop Graphics Questions Adjusting Memory

J_Mike, welcome to the forum.

The Ingrated Video will use as much system memory as necessary up to 1 GB, I believe.  You don't have to adjust it.

Yes, the Integrated Video is disabled if you install a discrete video card.  However, this is not a negative.  A discrete video card will improve performance nicely. 

The 550W PSU will be good for one of the newer mid-level video cards.  Most of them require a minimum of 400W to run properly.

Please click "KUDOS Thumbs Up" if I have helped you and click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved.

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe
- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 3 of 7 (1,152 Views)

I appreciate the answer, but I'd love to hear from others as well. It certainly hasn't been my perception that normally motherboards disable the in-processor graphics, though I always figured you would plug into the new card, and not use the older connections on the motherboard.

I didn't know the graphics memory automatically adjusted up and down like that either.
Provost
old_geekster
Message 4 of 7 (1,147 Views)

HP has their motherboards made to their specifications.  Therefore, they are not the same as retail versions of the same motherboard.  I can't give you the technical reason for disabling Integrated Video.  I just know from years of experience that this is what happens.

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe
- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 5 of 7 (1,140 Views)

[ Edited ]

I guess it is about the motherboard, and whether it is designed to swap back and forth.  I just read some AMD stuff, about switching from the APU to the PCI-E type, depending I suppose on whether you are web surfing or doing something requiring more "juice."

My main reason for getting one is to use the HDMI outlet on the video card anyway.  I too am an old timer, and other than playing a bit of chess, I don't play games.  I was a little surprised it didn't have one, but I bought it anyway.

Master's Graduate
ibfrenchy
Message 6 of 7 (1,092 Views)

Hey guys,

Old Geekster is right on.

not much more I can add.

First - it is rare that onboard graphics are enabled when you add a discrete video card to the system, HP did it on one consumer model a long time ago... the HP Firebird used "Hybrid SLI" which incorporated the onboard graphics card and the video chipset on the motherboard. That was the only time we used that.

Back to what I'm guessing you read about from AMD - "Switchable-Graphics"???

This is more common on Notebooks, but we did implement this on the HP Envy Reclines, desktop all in one TouchSmart PC.....

What Switchable-Graphics are designed to do is what you said, switch when more power is needed to display graphics... this is actually 2 things.

1. More Battery Power - On a notebook pc using the onboard graphics is more efficient for the battery than a discrete card that uses more power, and thus will drian the battery quicker.

2. More Graphics Power - when you are playing a game you want more graphics power to display the game at a higher resolution etc.

This is normally done automatically by software that is loaded on the PC.

For desktops - not needed and I'm not sure why we put it on the Recline... but we did.

Anyway adding a discrete card will disable on board graphics for 95% or more modern desktop motherboards. It is a pretty common thing. Those that don't disable the graphics will use some form of SLI (for NVidia) or X-Fire (for AMD).  The switchable graphics is available on some motherboards but mostly you will see that on notebooks that have a bigger need for battery conservation.

hope that helps.

bill

I'm a HP employee
Tutor
J_Mike
Message 7 of 7 (1,080 Views)

So, any 2.x PCI-E card that fits in the space will do?  Good answer by the way.  I always wondered for the ones that do work together with the on-board ones, how the signals get rerouted if say you're plugged into the PCI-E but only doing light surfing--but then I wonder a lot of things.

How does the fact it has a 4 GB and an 8GB memory stick affect the "dual-channel" part.  I read in another motherboard manual that it "maps" what can be routed dual-channel, then maps the excess (4GB) in this case, as independent memory.   I haven't found a manual per-se for this motherboard, outside of documentation here.

So I guess that means only 4+4 are used in dual channel, and the other four aren't. (assuming it works like the one I read about, and I interpreted the meaning correctly)  Is dual-channel like the RAID 0, for memory?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation