Question

Honor Student
jkennedy312
Message 1 of 4 (325 Views)

HP Envy with Beats Audio has very noisy CD player

I have a relatively new HP Envy PC with Beats Audio.  The CD/DVD player is very noisy as in the mechanism itself seems to be grinding.  Is there anything I can do to resolve this?  Thank you.

Judy Kennedy

HP Support Agent
MechPilot
Message 2 of 4 (288 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi jkennedy312,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I gather from your post that your CD/DVD drive is making excessive noise, and I would be most happy to assist you with that! To get started, I will need to ask a few questions:

• What is the Product and Model Number of the desktop you are using?
  • What program are you running when the CD/DVD drive makes its noise?
  • Is there a program running when this issue occurs, or does it do it by itself?
  • Is this a recent issue, or has this been going on for a while now?
  • Is the driver for your CD/DVD drive up to date?
  • Are all of your Windows updates completed?

In the meantime, please take a look at this document on Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 7), or for (Windows 8). This should help determine if there is any hardware defects associated with the CD/DVD drive.

To find out if your desktop's drivers are up to date, you can also follow this resource on Downloading or Updating Software and Drivers for HP Computers.

Please re-post with the necessary information, and I will diligently follow up with you!

Regards

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
Honor Student
jkennedy312
Message 3 of 4 (273 Views)

Re: HP Envy with Beats Audio has very noisy CD player

My PC is an Envy 700 -200Z.  I used it to play a CD by using "Run" and selecting Drive E.  I was on the Internet while playing the CD.  This happened the first time I used the CD player.  My PC  was purchaased in February 2014.    Updates are set for automatic download.  Drivers are up to date.  I'm going to check hardware diagnostics, but I think that is also fine. 

I bought new speakers a few weeks ago.  They work fine playing music from the Internet or CDs, the noise is in the CD/DVD player itself.  Thank you for your help.

Judy Kennedy

HP Support Agent
MechPilot
Message 4 of 4 (271 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi jkennedy312,

Thank you for the quick reply!

There is a normal amount of noise that is emitted from a CD/DVD drive when reading disks. However, if you notice the noise is loud enough to become a bother, I believe that there is a likely hardware issue with your disk drive.

Since you mentioned that your PC was purchased just this last February, I would recommend contacting our technical support at 1-800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region please click the link below to get the support number for your region. http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpsupport/index.pl

Thank you again for visiting the HP Forums, and have yourself a great weekend!

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation