Question

Top Student
appletreasures
Message 1 of 4 (181 Views)

HP Media Center PC m7250n beeps constantly at power on

I have a used  HP Media Center PC m7250n. I have never had it working. It beeps constantly at power on. It sounds just like it would if one held down a key on the keyboard. Nothing appears on the monitor other that what would appear with video cable disconnected from computer. I have tried disconnecting all plug in cards, mouse, keyboard, power cables to CD and DVD drives.

I have yet to remove all drives and reseat memory. Memmory is installed in XMM1 and XMM3. Is that normal? The fans appear to run and the power light on front is lit. Can anyone recommend how to proceed troublshooting this?

Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 2 of 4 (157 Views)

Re: HP Media Center PC m7250n beeps constantly at power on

Normally the beeps happen in some type of rhythm to indicated a certain place to look.  Please describe the rhythm of the beeps.  IE:  one short and two longs.

{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
Top Student
appletreasures
Message 3 of 4 (144 Views)

The pattern is as stated on my post.

Non stop beeping just like you held down a key on the keyboard.

It does not seem like a POST.

Since it does not have any pause between beeps and only stops if I power down, it could be described as either non stop short beep or nonstop long beep.

If it was POST, what would it indicate?

Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 4 of 4 (133 Views)

[ Edited ]

Since doing as described, it most likely is a failed CPU.  Possibly a bad motherboard, or both.  I would start with the CPU.  On a system that old, it might be advisable to find a working donor computer to test each component one at a time.  If you find someone willing to allow component swaps to find the failed units.  For the DIYer, I know of no other way to find which part/parts have failed.

Put the CPU in the working computer and see if it will work.

{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation