HP Media Driver 300GB USB removable model HD3000s (2177 Views)
Student
angel1colon
Message 1 of 4 (2,177 Views)

HP Media Driver 300GB USB removable model HD3000s

I have a HP Personal Media Drive 300GB USB removable model HD3000s for my HP Media Center PC m1170n that originally came with XP and has been upgraded to VISTA 32bit Home Premium OS.  I am getting this error: 'The USB DEVICE NOT RECOGNIZED,  It has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it'

The drive has been working great for several months after the upgrade so I don't believe the upgrade is the issue. I have upgraded all drivers and tried to recover the family pictures from the drive without success.  The unit slides into a USB slot.  I have also tried using a USB cable and connecting to other USB ports and to another pc with same unsuccessful results.

Is there a go-around to retrieve my pictures?  Could it be that the case and its USB connection is bad?  Is there a way to open the case?  If so, is there a hard drive in the case?  Maybe I can try to remove the case in hopes that I can connect the hard drive (if one) to the pc as a secondary in hopes of retrieving my pictures.

Any advice?

Master's Graduate
konk6i3
Message 2 of 4 (2,146 Views)

Re: HP Media Driver 300GB USB removable model HD3000s

There is a standard HDD inside the case, attached to a USB interface board. The black rails on the side basically hold the case together. You can get USB to IDE interfaces at many electonic stores such as Fry's.

Cheers,

... an HP employee expressing his own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
Honor Student
zanzarista
Message 3 of 4 (2,013 Views)

HP Media Drive 300GB USB removable model HD3000s - open the case

Hello,

I'd like to know the secret to opening the case, without breaking the tabs or marring up the plastic.  Are there some release features somewhere on the ends or sides?  I've

Thanks

Z

Honor Student
zanzarista
Message 4 of 4 (2,012 Views)

Re: HP Media Drive 300GB USB removable model HD3000s - open the case

Never mind, I wasn't prying hard enough on the sides of the case covers on the sides.

Cheers,

Z.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation