Question

Top Student
ThatTechNerd
Message 1 of 8 (3,482 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Omni 220xt Graphics Card Upgrade

I was wondering if my computer had the proper slots to upgrade the GPU. Also, I was wondering if adding a graphics card would add a VGA, DVI, HDMI port, etc. to the computer. I looked up the graphics cards that were available on HP's website during customization, and I found out that not only does the graphics card choices for my computer have a VGA, HDMI, DVI port, etc. but It also needs a PCI-E 2.1 slot. So I inferred that the computer must have such a slot in order to install the graphics card. Can I get a confirmation of this? Does the PC have a slot so that I can change the graphics card to a third party graphics card?  I plan on doing some gaming with the computer, so I want to upgrade the graphics card. A response would be nice. I am trying to avoid buying the computer and finding out that I can't upgrade the GPU. Thanks, ThatTechNerd

Professor
RasterBlaster
Message 2 of 8 (3,465 Views)

Re: HP Omni 220xt Graphics Card Upgrade

I think you have a 220-1050xt.

No - not really. It's fully enclosed and if you add/replace the MXM card video goe through the interface on teh mobo and is piped out the ports on the mobo. If you want to send video to another monitor, you need to connect a USB graphics adapter - these work really well.

LavicaMB: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03011566

... an HP employee expressing his own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
Top Student
ThatTechNerd
Message 3 of 8 (3,463 Views)

Thank you. However, I am aware that the computer [Omni 200-1050xt] does not come with a VGA port. If I upgrade the GPU, will I get some VGA or DVI or HDMI ports on my computer?

Professor
RasterBlaster
Message 4 of 8 (3,461 Views)

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the video data is piped through MXM slot on the mobo. Think of a laptop - All-in-One PCs use laptop technology. The video out port hardware depend on the motherboard. If you look at teh big blank area in the photograph on the mothboard specification, this isw where the XML lays down across the mobo - to keep a slim profile.
Please post rather than send me a Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
Top Student
ThatTechNerd
Message 5 of 8 (3,461 Views)

And another reply.:smileysurprised: I Have looked at the motherboard specs online, and I found that it said this [the following has been copied and pasted directly from the motherboard specs] "One PCI Express MXM slot that supports a PCI Express x16 graphics card (Generation 2 speed)" does that mean that I can upgrade the graphics card as long as it is compatible with PCI-E x16? [Im getting hopeful now :smileyvery-happy:] Also, die to its all-in-one design, will the Motherboard be a little harder to get at when I'm looking to change the GPU? Thanks alot, a response would be noce. ~ThatTechNerd

Professor
RasterBlaster
Message 6 of 8 (3,457 Views)

The video card must be MXM so that it actually fits in the slot. You have to remove the entire back cover - I don't think HP has part replacement articles for your PC yet... but this support document should be similar.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02657160

In addition to these covers, you have to remove the entire back cover as well. Not fun. I don't think the video card is an upgradeable item for AiO PCs... they are not like a tower. But... it is possible.

As far as finding and buying one... you'll need to go shopping. I can't recommend one for you, but if you search on thebrands that you like + MXM, I'm sure you'll find something... such as the nVIDIA GT240M or the ATI Radeon HD 4570.

Now... if you do an upgrade like this, you'll probably be messing with your warrant. The hard drive, memory and optical drive are all accessible and upgradeable - video card is not.

Top Student
ThatTechNerd
Message 7 of 8 (3,455 Views)

Thank You, I undrstand now that it is now not worth all that effort to upgrade the graphics card.... But you still failed to answer one of my questions. It is if I order the computer from HP, and pick a hraphics card, will my computer have a VGA port? it seems logical, as the card has VGA output, as well as HDMI and DVI, but due to the AiO form factor, HP likes to screw things up :smileyhappy:. A response would be nice.....

Thanks, ThatTechNerd

Professor
RasterBlaster
Message 8 of 8 (3,454 Views)

Sorry... no. The cards available all serve the built-in display. There is no Video out. I know some touchsmarts have special video ports that allow video-IN (not out) so that you hook up a DVD player or game console and use the built-in monitor as a display (i thinkthey even have picture in picture now).. but as far as I knw, the Omni series does not... no video ports. Again, you'd have to use a USB video adapter of whatever port you wanted.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation