Question

Student
X3700
Message 1 of 1 (273 Views)

HP P2-1334 Desktop PC - Computer itself won't recognize external hdd

Computer itself won't detect external hdd. This external hard drive is currently formatted with the ext4 file system for Linux. I have successfully tried this external hard drive on at least 5 other computers, but this particular computer will not even recognize it in the UEFI/BIOS menu. I want to boot from this external hard drive so that I can run Linux on this computer. When I plug this hard drive in, it spins for a short time, then clicks, then starts over again. When I load the UEFI/BIOS menu and plug this drive in, the menu freezes and does not show the drive anywhere. I can however,  boot from a USB Flash Drive with Linux on it from this same computer. Tried the other USB ports - no avail. The HDD is USB 2.0/3.0 compatible. Secure Boot is off; Legacy Boot is enabled. Hard drive runs and boots just fine on other computers. This computer runs just fine otherwise.

I emailed HP tech support, as this computer is still under warranty, and they basically told me that HP does not support dual-boot configurations because they don't provide hardware drivers that were not meant for the original factory installed operating system. Yet, the five other computers that I mentioned in the previous paragraph were all HP computers.  So why would all of the other HP computers run a dual-boot configuration just fine, but this particular computer won't?  The technician who emailed me back suggested that I format the drive to NTFS and then try again.  Does this mean that HP no longer supports the ext4 file system in the UEFI/BIOS?  Something is not adding up here...

I appreciate any help!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation