Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP PRO 3500 Series MT

Hi All,

Got quite a frustrating issue here and I think its game over but thought i'd try myu luck here with you guys, see if you can shed some light for me...

So basically the PC will not boot / display anything. When I first power it on the power light turns on and off 4 times then stays solid but still nothing appears on the screen, no error codes or anything. You can hear the fans and see them spool up four times during this process. 

While it appears to be powered up after the four initial power cycles I can hear the CPU fan occasionally reach higher RPM's as if its doing something?!.....

Heres what ive tried so far.........

1. Different PSU
  2. Changed, Reseated RAM (Note when I remove the RAM altogether I get Beep codes as expected)
  3. Clearing the CMOS (also manually removed the battery)
  4. Fitted a hardware GPU in case of Display port issue
  5. Removed HDD

Unfortunately there were no symptoms pre the issue occuring. The PC just failed to boot one day.

Lastly might be worth showing the current jumper positions as I doubted myself when re-seating them see below: -

Sys Board

If you require any further information please ask and thankyou in advance.

Regards

TT

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hello!
I have same issue with H-Cupertino-h61 motherboard in HP Pro 3500 PC.
This is happend after I updated BIOS from 7.06 to 8.14.
I downloaded flash utility and update BIOS from Windows 7 x64, I backuped current and flash new.  No errors were during installation.
After reboot was periodical long beep and orange blinking led. After 2nd reboot led became white, no any sounds, blinking and no video.
I have beep codes if  RAM is removed.
I was try BIOS recovery from backup image by: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04126730
But nothing changes.
What pinout BIOS_RECOVERY and how it use?

Please Help BIOS recovery!
Or maybe this is two different  problems and BIOS update don't linked with boot error.

HP Recommended

Hi There!

Thanks for your response, tried the BIOS recovery but no joy. Does not even get to the recovery screen....which leads me to believe the pinout for the BIOS_RECOVERY needs to be in its proper place but like you I am not sure of the sequence so if anybody else could enlighten us that would be terrific!

I think we both have the same / similar issue as its BIOS related.

Cheers

TT

HP Recommended

Hello!
I found BIOS_RECOVERY header pinout:
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-Software-Recovery/bios-u-d-ofipisb-cu-hp8-101...
If you have some practice with soldering you may try recovery BIOS by this guide.
I not have much time, but i will try to do this week.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately seems my MB is DEAD.
I couldn't recovered BIOS EEPROM, because I think somewhere in MB have short circuit .
Resistance between 3.3V bus and ground just 30 Ohm. I measured other 3 MB no one does have less 300 Ohm resistance. EEPROM Chip takes power from that bus(3.3 V).
I think it was cause MB is power looped reboot.

HP Recommended

I had a simular issue.  The system did not seem to post.  I removed my memory cards, and got 5 long beeps.  This told me that it was actually Posting.  I had no video, black scree, and USB ports did not work.  I first had this issue when I changed my video resolution to a setting higher than my monitor could display.  I had hit and miss luck getting it to load the Startup Memory.  I found that if I kept toggleing by pressing the K and L key, I would get a boot window.  I reset my cmos, by powering down, removing the cmos battery and moving the Cmos reset jumper to to the reset position, and then back.

I got it to boot into save mode, and changed my video resolotion to 1280 x 1024 the recommended settings.  After that, it still would not boot.  It also would not let me change the resolution anymore.  Ummmmm

When I did get it to boot, I kept getting the message on the screen telling me about my resolution.  I decided to try something.  Everyone told me I had a bad mother board.  This was not the problem.  The problem was a driver conflict with Windows 10.  The probems started after the Windows 10 upgrade.  Daaaa

When I started the computer with my projector attached, it could handle the higher resolution.  I changed the resolution back to 1280 x 1024.  Rebooted my computer, and for now, life appears to be good again.  

I hope this helps others with the same issue. 

HP Recommended

So basically the PC will not boot / display anything. When I first power it on the power light turns on and off 4 times then stays solid but still nothing appears on the screen, no error codes or anything. You can hear the fans and see them spool up four times during this process. 

While it appears to be powered up after the four initial power cycles I can hear the CPU fan occasionally reach higher RPM's as if its doing something?!.....

Has anyone found a solution to this problem. My desktop just did exactly like this. It has been running on a UPS so i ruled out any issue of electrical surge. Anyone got solution.

Thank you

HP Recommended

Turn it off, unplug the power source , hold down the power button for 30 seconds. plug  the power back in and power up.

Your computer should boot up correctly.

Spoiler

HP Recommended

Turn it off, unplug the power source , hold down the power button for 30 seconds. plug  the power back in and power up.

Your computer should boot up correctly.

not permanent solution

HP Recommended

I found this issue with one of these models and here's what happended. I tested the PSU and it was good. I removed and reseated the RAM and still no post or boot. I reset the BIOS and removed the battery and nothing. The owner told me that it just quit. Hmmm, what next? It was plugged in for about an hour when this happened: I had it on my bench and it was lying horizontal with the side cover removed, suddenly on of the IC chips near the CPU burst into flames. Yes, literally burst into flames like metal being welded and you can see the results in the photo that is attached.

I am wondering if this IC is the issue for some that are experiencing issues with this model. I am glad that I had it on my bench in a fairly, fire-resistant area at the time this happened. IMG_1098 (1).JPG

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.