Question

Student
deeps17
Message 1 of 4 (2,134 Views)

HP Paviilion a732n desktop - fan loud and keeps turning on and off

Hi there,

I have an older Pavilion model - a732n. I remember the fan turning on occasionally in the beginning. Now it constantly goes on and off (every 2-3 minutes or so). 

I have done the following:

- Clean out the desktop of dust, etc

- installed and ran speedfan which shows the following number:

GPU: 0C

Ambient: 33C

Remote 1: 59C

Remote 2: 31C

HD0: 31 C

Fan 1: 0RPM

Fan2: 0RPM

The fan kicks in when Remote 1 goes above 60C, and stops when it's below 60C. Is this just a bad sensor?

dee

PhD Student
cnfrisch
Message 2 of 4 (2,095 Views)

Re: HP Paviilion a732n desktop - fan loud and keeps turning on and off

A CPU fan should never turn-off while the computer is turned-on.  Normally, it will adjust the RPMs according to temperature, but it should never turn completely off.  You can try removing the CPU fan and clean it and the CPU itself, then apply a good thermal paste on the CPU and reinstall the fan.  If that doesn't work, try replacing the CPU fan with a new one.

Here are some products to consider:

Arctic Silver ACN-60ML Thermal material Remover & Surface Purifier

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound

MASSCOOL 9T370B1M3 70mm Ball CPU Cooler

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows Expert - Consumer

Grad Student
gkdiamond
Message 3 of 4 (2,058 Views)

It's certainly possible that one of the components in th sensor circuitry has degraded, shorted or opened and is not working correctly but that is not the first thing I would suspect.

You say that your fan "kicks in " but more than likely it is always running from power-up you just don't hear it until the temperature reaches 140F and then it really starts to spin (and get louder) as it should. To be safe, first verify that all the fans are working, especially the CPU or processor fan.

You don't say whether you installed any new software just before it started happening or if you are playing a game on your computer when it happens or if your hard drive is running nonstop just before and during the time that the fan picks up speed. I would open up Task Manager and monitor the CPU Usage (at the bottom) to see if it goes up to 90+ percent when the fan gets loud. If so, something is running that is causing you processor to run constantly and it can't cool down sufficiently. If you are gaming then that is more than likely the problem otherwise you need to figure out what is running in the background. You could try downloading and installing programs like Norton Antivirus (a trial version), Spybot - Search & Destroy, SupeAntiSpyware, Spyware Doctor, and MalwareBytes from a software download site like Softpedia and then run full scans to make sure that you didn't pick up a virus, spyware or adware that is causing the problem.

Teacher
DeniseM-Toronto
Message 4 of 4 (2,042 Views)

All that said, it might just be that at times the fan really does need to run that fast.  So another alternative is to look for a quieter fan.   As you can see on some technical websites, some fans are quieter than others.

Denise Moore

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation