Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 500-164
Windows 8.1

I have a HP Pavilion 500-164 . Every time I start it up I get an error message of 511--CPU fan not detected.

At the bottom of the screen it states    F1  : Boot

Then it starts to operate without problems. This is becoming bothersome.

But when examining the unit, I find both fans running?

What is the problem and do I need to take it in for repairs?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Use a can of compressed air to clean out all of the dust from all fans in the PC.  With the side panel off, power on the PC and again observe the fan rotational speed.  What do you see? slow, medium or high rotational speeds?

Open up the RUN Windows and enter: MSINFO32

What BIOS level is your PC running?

Install the latest diagnostics for your PC. Boot up your PC and tap ESC then F2 to run diagnostics.  Run a complete set.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

Hi,

Use a can of compressed air to clean out all of the dust from all fans in the PC.  With the side panel off, power on the PC and again observe the fan rotational speed.  What do you see? slow, medium or high rotational speeds?

Open up the RUN Windows and enter: MSINFO32

What BIOS level is your PC running?

Install the latest diagnostics for your PC. Boot up your PC and tap ESC then F2 to run diagnostics.  Run a complete set.

Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

I had done what you sugested-compressed air and even cotton tips to clean the blades, fan speed is what I would consider normal speed -no noise. 

The Bios system info that I could find is v80.52..I don't know if that is right -revision date  11/11/2014.

I ran a diagnostic check and was informed that I was current on all data required.

But so far everything is now working correctly. I want to thank you for your time

HP Recommended

Dear Team,

Currently i am having the same issue.

The seller asking me to refresh my OS but no help... as this is POST error i am more suspected it due to hw then sw.

try to clean the fan intermitant the error still coming out.

System Model    700-270d

System SKU    E9U71AA#UUF

Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3201 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date    AMI 80.16, 5/12/2013, SMBIOS Version    2.7, BIOS Mode    UEF

HP Recommended

@JuniorOng

Is your PC equipped with the original Intel fan?

Power off the PC. Open up the PC and check the CPU fan cable. Carefully unplug it and replug it.  Leave the PC open and plug in the PC. Observe the fan while you depress the the power on button.  Does the fan spin? Are you still getting the error?

HP Recommended

Thanks big dave,

U know after ur encouragement i try to open the cpu fan finding a lot of dust on the cpu heat sink itself,

surprisingly after cleaning only i withness myself it really did not spin or trying to kick spin but prohibited.

So far after few restart still working fine.  Shame on me only try my best after ur encouragement.  As long time nvr touch PC, i try to let the seller shop expert do but now i also question how qualify is the shop worker. 

HP Recommended

Hi Big_Dave

I have the same issue than above.

I changed today the fans, going from the original one (80mm) furnished with my HP 500-195ef to the one furnished with my Bitfenix Shinobi (120mm) and two BeQuiet Silentwings 2 (120mm). Those fans spin a lot slower than my old one, being bigger and more performant. And I checked : they do spin.

But I didn't change the motherboard, and thus didn't change the BIOS parameters. Problem is, I can't seem to access (via F2 menu while booting) to the option to either :

- delete the error message

- lower the spin alert level

Any idea about what I am missing ?

Thanks !

(PS: sorry for any language-issue, english isn't my mothertongue)

HP Recommended

@Thrombus

Non-Intel fans running off the CPU fan header and/or non-HP fans running off the system fan header could be a problem as there very well could be a current limitation and a speed detection issue.  I suggest that you stay with the original fans and if you have extra fans then tap into a molex or SATA power connector for a source of electrical power.

HP Recommended

Dear Dave,

Today the problem come again.  First incident after discharge the system,plug back the power cable the fan spin. 

Second incident, when on the F1 screen, after i presss F1 the fan move.  Additionally i am connecting my pc wtih Neuro power UPS.800va together with my Acer 19in basic monitor

Any suggestion?

HP Recommended

@Big_Dave

That would mean that all my fans are functionning at their maximal capacity all the time. That would get pretty noisy and not very power-consumption-friendly. And a shorter lifespan for my fans.

Is there no software option to lower the setting for the alert or shut it off ?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.