Question
HP Pavilion Elite m9340f Desktop PC
Replies (39)

Tutor
laocoon142
Message 21 of 40 (7,905 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion Elite m9340f Desktop PC

Just to update everyone on progress, I called HP for the nth time in two months and finally persuaded an HP technician to send me a new graphics card.  The noise continued to get worse and was so loud she could hear it over the phone.

I specifically asked if the new card would solve the problem or if the fan would be expected to fail again.  The tech replied that this was a new release of the card that should not have the problem and that there was a notice about this and that my computer was on the list of those affected.  (Obviously it was an internal notice withing HP as no one told me about it even though I thought my trouble ticket was still open with them.)

She agreed to send me the new card by overnight shipping.  The next day I got a call from HP saying the shipping date was delayed for approximately ten days.  Two days later, the new card arrived.  Go figure.

Yes, they asked me for my credit card number, in case I didn't return the defective card to them.  I complained about how insulting that was, and that given my long history of trying to get this warranty replacement I was not trying to beat them out of another card. 

The new card is in and seems to be working just fine for now, normal whoosh of fan noises.

While I'm relieved that the problem is solved and I hope it stays solved, I'm just so hacked off by the horrible way that HP handled this straightforward warranty issue.  First, denial, followed by a series of protracted delays as I had to persist at calling them, emailing, and being a constant pest to get this matter resolved.  This is the most disjointed customer service I've experienced from any major firm in a long time. 

Honor Student
MrBratt71
Message 22 of 40 (7,818 Views)

I find it so interesting that HP will help some and not help others by just sending a card.  I was very cooperative with the tech support person on the phone, chit-chatted about the time in India - all that crap.  Trying to show I was a nice guy willing to keep their cost down and do the repair myself.  That didn't happen.  I even begged for them to just send me a card - no luck.  My empty box showed up the other day - it's still empty and will remain empty.  I removed the hard drive and booted the system.  The fan runs at full speed if not told by the OS to slow down.  It was somewhat noisy, but it always was on boot up or when suspending.  My original plan of removing the HD and taking it to Frys was shot. :-(  I called Fry's and ofcourse they recommended restoring the PC to factory.  I couldn't get them to answer how they would fix my video card fan (I know that hadn't seen it yet, but I was quite confident it was simply the fan as when the PC was running in Windows you could see a mark on the top of the fan not make a perfect circle <running in circles like a drunk>).  So, I looked online for aftermarket fans.  I measured the hole spacing of the factory fan and found that a Zalman VF700 fan would fit.  It is currently installed and it's quiet again.  The fan was a VERY tight fit (the wireless card has maybe 1/16" between it and the huge heatsink).  I also had to cut a wiretie to get the front firewire port's cable near the motherboard.  Problem solved to my and my wife's satisfaction.  Best of luck to all...
Honor Student
MrBratt71
Message 23 of 40 (7,817 Views)

Oh yeah, the fan was only $25.  I was only without the PC for maybe 1/2 hour.
Intern
eagardener
Message 24 of 40 (7,815 Views)

Congrats on your fix! I myself was again BSOD'd twice today with no programs running, quiet fan, complete hardware scan revealing nothing. I am having errors referring to something called "Kerberos". Will research and report.
GDL Tutor
Tutor
GDL
Message 25 of 40 (7,814 Views)

eagardener wrote:
Congrats on your fix! I myself was again BSOD'd twice today with no programs running, quiet fan, complete hardware scan revealing nothing. I am having errors referring to something called "Kerberos". Will research and report.

eagardener, I suspect your problem is unrelated to the original post. Abrupt shutdowns/reboots without errors usually indicate a hardware problem, most likely your main memory (DIMM) or the motherboard.If you're comfortable rummaging around inside your case, pop out each memory stick and re-seat them to ensure they're properly seated. If the issue continues you could run your system's diagnostics to see if that turns up any errors. You can also remove the memory sticks one at a time to see if the system runs ok with only one. If it does, the stick that was out when the failure stopped is the bad one.

Greg

--
HP Pavilion Elite M9260F, 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 Processor, 4 GB RAM, 1 TB Hard Drive, Blu Ray Drive, nvidia GeForce 8600GT, Vista Premium 64-bit
Intern
eagardener
Message 26 of 40 (7,811 Views)

Thanks. I'll give that a try. This is the first time I have had a new computer with such drastic problems. I just don't understand why it would work so well for a couple of months, then pull this stuff out of the blue. I haven't added any hardware since I set it up. Why now? In any event, I've pulled AVG and am installing Avast. Something else...I tried a defrag and got the BSOD again.
Intern
eagardener
Message 27 of 40 (7,804 Views)

Very interesting thread regarding Vista disruptive shutdown events. I am not alone. http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=4055892&SiteID=17&pageid=11
Honor Student
DaveInTexas
Message 28 of 40 (7,753 Views)

Well, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with this problem like tech support told me I was.  There is a problem with the video card fan making a terrible noise and it does seem to be related to temperature . . . the hotter it is, the louder it is.  I did get them to send me one so I could replace it instead of sending the whole computer back, but now this one is just starting to make noise as well.  Hopefully HP will addrss this properly. 
Intern
eagardener
Message 29 of 40 (7,750 Views)

I wish I had better things to report, but I had another BSOD episode today. I've changed out my Antivirus software to Avast, run system, memory and hardware diagnostics - all report no problem. I don't have any fan noise to report and the case is running fairly cool. All fans operational. No wires laying on boards or disrupting fans. I went for a full day yesterday without a problem - today, after about two hours of light web surfing - BSOD - Hardware Failure. Now, back up and running for about six hours, no problems.
Student
fx480
Message 30 of 40 (7,730 Views)

Mine is three weeks old and has had a hard drive failure and several severe Vista 64 problems.  HP does not at this time offer support for vista 64 in this line.  I also have an 8400 workstation that is supported extremely well (though all of the workstation support is staffed within the USA-a hugh difference).  The asian and south american support work 98% with XP and Vista 32. 
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation