Question

Honor Student
lejcart
Message 1 of 4 (250 Views)

HP Pavilion HPE-372f - Graphics card update

Hello fellow forum readers,

I'm not a complete lost cause, but it's difficult to know where to begin with pc upgrades when you are trying to teach yourself.

What i am trying to accomplish is a pc that will stand well with current gen and at least the next 2 years of games on med-high settings while being able to stream or record my games efficiently enough without intrusive lag. Never mind the bandwidth of my internet, ATM im regarding my pc build.

First off everything in the pc is exactly manufacture specs. Nother new has been added as of yet, but rather than buy a new gaming pc pre-built at 1500-2500 $ for what im looking for id rather just throw in 500-700 in parts on this one to equal its power, and perhaps better it.

What is the BEST graphics card that this PCI Express x16 (15 hole connector) Motherboard with an Intel i7 860 2.8GHz can support? And another question, is 2.8 enough, is this maybe the issue?

Lets go with these main questions:

What is the best graphical upgrade possible,

What is the best processor i could get, or is it better to attempt OCing.

SSD of 512 GB a good start? or should i just stick to the 260GB range?

My main concern: GAMES and STREAMING.

Thank you for reading,

Hope you can help.

Justin

Provost
old_geekster
Message 2 of 4 (234 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion HPE-372f - Graphics card update

[ Edited ]

Justin, welcome to the forum.

Please see my answers to your questions below.

lejcart wrote:

Hello fellow forum readers,

I'm not a complete lost cause, but it's difficult to know where to begin with pc upgrades when you are trying to teach yourself.

What i am trying to accomplish is a pc that will stand well with current gen and at least the next 2 years of games on med-high settings while being able to stream or record my games efficiently enough without intrusive lag. Never mind the bandwidth of my internet, ATM im regarding my pc build.

First off everything in the pc is exactly manufacture specs. Nother new has been added as of yet, but rather than buy a new gaming pc pre-built at 1500-2500 $ for what im looking for id rather just throw in 500-700 in parts on this one to equal its power, and perhaps better it.

What is the BEST graphics card that this PCI Express x16 (15 hole connector) Motherboard with an Intel i7 860 2.8GHz can support? And another question, is 2.8 enough, is this maybe the issue?

Lets go with these main questions:

What is the best graphical upgrade possible,  I like XFX, EVGA, Sapphire and PNY in that order.  Based on my experience on Gaming /  Enthusiast forums.  The problem that you will have is the length of the card.  You can make a cardboard template the same size as the card you choose to see if it will fit into the space provided.  Add one inch if there are any additional power connectors.  The average length is 9.1".  Also, the cards that I reviewed may require a power supply unit (PSU) upgrade, as well.  Most of the cards that will do what you want require at least 500W to operate properly.  You can always try them with the existing PSU and replace it if necessary.  The video card interface is PCI Express x16.

What is the best processor i could get, or is it better to attempt OCing.  Here are the processors that are supported by the motherboard:

Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:
  • Intel Core i7-8xx (Lynnfield core)
  • Intel Core i5-7xx (Lynnfield core)
  • Intel Core i5-6xx (Clarkdale core)
  • Intel Core i3-5xx (Clarkdale core)
    NOTE:Maximum processor core frequency <= 2.93GHz:  Since this is the max frequency and your Processor is 2.8GHz, it may not be necessary to upgrade it.

SSD of 512 GB a good start? or should i just stick to the 260GB range?  I just installed a Samsung 840 EVO -500 GB SSD ($299).  It is absolutely phenomenal.  Since the SSD is 2.5" and does not come with an adapter, I bought one from Newegg.  I used their Migration software to clone my HDD with it in place and the SSD installed and connected to another SATA connector on the motherboard.  When the cloning was complete, I left the old HDD in place and disconnected the power.  It booted the first time without any changes to the BIOS.  Once it was running, I used Samsung's Magician Software to tweak it to its best settings.  I set it for Performance.

My main concern: GAMES and STREAMING.

Thank you for reading,

Hope you can help.

Justin

If you have further questions, just ask.

Please click "the Thumbs Up+ button" if I have helped you and click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved.

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe - i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Pro

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 3 of 4 (222 Views)

[ Edited ]

I found this card on newegg.

Its within my PSU's 460watt

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150707

Would that function properly?

It is a 3.0 PCI while mine is a 2.0, but from what i understand, it shoul be backward compatible.

In your opinion would it bottle neck, a term i've heard people use (hopefully meaning, limit its potential), or would it still provide enough of an upgrade to my current HD radeon 5770's hp model?

Now if only it was red... (haha, pulling your leg)

Justin.

Edit: I've noticed this newegg one i've listed says 384 Stream Processors. While my HD Radeon does 800.

Will my radeon be better than this card? or will the R7 250 be a good addition?

Provost
old_geekster
Message 4 of 4 (190 Views)

The main thing that concerns me about the card that you found is there are no reviews.  I like to see as many reviews as possible.  This gives me an opportunity to see what users have to say about a product.

Another of my concerns is, I can't say that it will be better than your HD 5770.  I am simply not certain that it will be better.  As the notes on the page state, it is not a retail version of the card.  So, I have nothing to compare with it.

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe - i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Pro

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!