Question

Top Student
vvillegas8016
Message 1 of 9 (4,639 Views)

HP Pavilion Media Center M8300F CPU Fan Failure

I was receiving a cpu fan failure msg and the pc would keep shutting down. So I went ahead and replaced the fan and thoroughly cleaned the heat sink. I added some cooling compound and re-mounted the sink, fan, and made sure it was plugged in correctly. I started the pc and it is still giving me that error msg. The fan is running fine w/out obstruction, but I had to start the computer up 5x before it would finally boot up. I installed speedfan and it shows a temp of 80-90 w/ little fluctuation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 2 of 9 (4,624 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion Media Center M8300F CPU Fan Failure

[ Edited ]

Hello willegas8016, Are your sure the fan you installed is the exact fan that failed?

Does it have the correct fan speed sensor?

You probably already know this, but  Here  is a link that helps with CPU fan errors.

There is a BIOS update for your model. Not sure if you have reflashed the BIOS, or reset the BIOS after the fan replacement. Sometimes this works.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 3 of 9 (4,563 Views)

If that temperature is degrees C then there is a problem.  If it is Fahrenheit it is OK.

{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
Top Student
vvillegas8016
Message 4 of 9 (4,547 Views)

Thanks for the info. I updated the BIOS and so far so good. I tried to follow the instructions that HP gave as far as going into the BIOS and changing the settings, but I found that my BIOS doesn't have the option of "Hardware Monitor", so I'm unable to make those changes. My concern now is that I noticed an increase in temp. Speedfan is now reading a temp of 95-100 and it is no longer reader the fan's RPMs. I wonder if the sensor on the MB is going. Any suggestions?

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 5 of 9 (4,534 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello willegas, As TheOldMan suggested, if this reading is Fahrenheit, this would be fine.

100 ºF = 37.7777 ºC  Can you advise if Spped Fan is showing Fahrenheit or Celsius?

I am not familiar with Speed Fan, so I could not advise about the readings Speed Fan is showing.

Top Student
vvillegas8016
Message 6 of 9 (4,507 Views)

Speed fan shows in farenheit. Since I last responded the temp has come down a bit and is now between 85 and 95F, but I'm noticing that  I can now hear the fan "rev up" and the temp will increase to near 100F everytime I move the mouse or change web pages. Also, now when I try to restart the computer, it shutsdown but doesn't restart. It remains on the blue screen on power down, then I have to power it completely down by holding the power button and then start it back up by pressing the power button once again. Any ideas?

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 7 of 9 (4,504 Views)

Hello willegas8016, I noticed you mentioned, "So I went ahead and replaced the fan".

Did you replace the fan with the exact HP fan mdel or just one that appeared to mount and work?

These HP fans are specific to the system and not just any fan will work in these systems.

From your description, it does appear you have a heat related issue. This can be caused by several reasons.

I would be sure the case is clean and you have the proper CPU fan. This is critical.

You should not be getting a speed increase just by moving the mouse. The CPU heat threshold must be at it's maximum for this to occur. I would suggest looking for one or more heat related problems, starting with the CPU fan.

Top Student
vvillegas8016
Message 8 of 9 (4,431 Views)

My PC is now giving me the msg of cpu fan failure constantly and will not boot up. I ordered the exact same fan that came w/ the PC and replaced it. Much to my surprise(not really), it did not work. It is still giving me the same cpu fan failure message. I'm really starting to believe it is the motherboard and not the fan. All other fans are working properly and I went ahead and changed the compound on the cpu. Is there any way I can bypass this? There is no way that 3 new fans are the problem.

Top Student
vvillegas8016
Message 9 of 9 (4,365 Views)

Bump

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation