Question

Honor Student
BobHurt
Message 1 of 3 (2,147 Views)

HP Pavilion Slimline s3120n TV PC takes hours to boot, then runs impossibly slow.

I haven't been able to use the system for 2 years.  I cannot find instructions for getting at the memory module to reseat it.  No dust or dirt at all in the system.  Ran okay for several months, then stopped booting.  Finally, I left it on and walked away,   In several hours I returned and saw that it had finished booting, but I could not run applications.  I operated way too slowly.  

Recently, I thought maybe the operating system had problems or some virus, so I booted UBUNTU 10.04 Live CD.  Hours later it had booted.  I selected install and it took many hours but finally installed on the hard drive.  It still takes hours to boot.

I have concluded from complaints on various internet sites (see those from Amazon below), including this one, that HP did a profoundly poor job of designing and testing the s3120n prototypes.  They are terribly unreliable, probably because of excessive heat.  I imagine HP has by now hung the head engineer on this product by his underdeveloped privates as a lesson to his colleagues of how to ruin a career.  Just make thousands of customers angry by creating and shipping JUNK (the s3120n).

Obviously, this model has a severe overheating problem because of insufficient air flow and heat sinking of critical components.  The heat damages them.  Customers have to send them in for repair several times till they get disgusted and buy another system.  HP has terminated my warranty of course, so I cannot get the corporation to take any remedial action at all.  I am stuck with this piece of junk and have no choice but to part it out and sell the parts "use at your own risk".

This system deserves a FACTORY RECALL or super low-price swap for a system that has no heat or reliability problems.  We (the universe of users who expect top quality from HP and who actually pay premium prices for it) apparently have no ombudsman in HP for problems like these.  You see, we users cannot just send the system in for repair.  It will break over and over and over, either in or out of warranty.  Every cycle to the repair facility costs us time and money.  Most of us have consumed more than the highest retail price for the s3120n in such wasted time getting the system fixed only to have it break again, and out of warranty we have an even worse problem.

In other words the s3120n seemed like a great idea and nifty product, but HP executed the idea badly, and stuck customers with a lemon that HP refused to recall.  HP deserves to lose every one of those customers forever.

I have considered creating an "I HATE HP" web site, and post on it my explanation with glaring proof from all the complaints I find on the web about this product, showing that HP deceived customers by selling them junk and then only fixing "AT" the problems, not actually fixing them.  You cannot fix a design problem by swapping parts.  I knew that when an HP employee writing service manuals in 1975, and I surely know it now.  So does HP.  And HP has done nothing effective to correct the injuries to their customers for selling them junk and refusing to recall and replace them with properly designed products..

HP, as far as I am concerned, YOU OWE ME A NEW COMPUTER and you can take this junk back and keep it.  I have a Pentium 4 HP Compaq DC7100 on my desk that I bought off lease over 2 years ago for $200, still chugging along without ever a single problem.  

I loved the peppier s3120n when it ran correctly.  And I never even tried out the TV functions.  I paid over a thousand dollars for it .  I see them on sale refurbished for $350, still a bad bargain because of the hassle factor.

Okay, in case you don't believe I make a good point above, read the following customer critiques from Amazon.com.

----------  Copied from Amazon.com 11/19/2011 -----------

6 of 6 people found the following review helpful:
1.0 out of 5 stars HP s3120n runs so hot it will burn out within a year - mine did, August 1, 2008
This review is from: HP Pavilion S3120N Slimline Desktop PC (AMD Athlon 64 Processor 4200+, 2 GB RAM, 320 GB Hard Drive, Vista Premium) (Personal Computers)

Putting an Athlon 64 into a small form factor case is a BAD IDEA. You need laptop chipsets in a small form factor case otherwise the thermal load on the system will lead to premature failure. My s3120n is now a door-stop that will not even POST. 

This computer has inadequate cooling and runs really hot. Heat kills computer chips.

4 of 4 people found the following review helpful:
1.0 out of 5 stars Motherboard Failures / Hard Drive Failures within 2 years - DO NOT BUY,November 17, 2009
This review is from: HP Pavilion S3120N Slimline Desktop PC (AMD Athlon 64 Processor 4200+, 2 GB RAM, 320 GB Hard Drive, Vista Premium) (Personal Computers)

While the specs of this computer and its attractive price may seem appealing, if you do anything other than surf the web or check your email, save your money and do not buy this computer. I have had this computer for 2 years since I bought it for $499.99 from Office Max. 

All of the reviews on here about the motherboard/ hard drive failing are correct, at least in my case. 

Everything was great about this PC until late within the first year when I had my first motherboard failure. After hours on the phone with an off-shore call center, I had to send my computer to the factory (their expense) where it was diagnosed and fixed which took a little less than 2 months. A few months later the hard drive blew. I lost all my information and they sent me a new internal one to install. This was after the computer froze at the Blue Screen of Death for days without being able to turn on. For weeks it would take at least 4 attempts to start the computer as pushing the on button did nothing more than make it sound like it was starting up. The hard drive fixed the problem for the time being. 

This past week, the situation where it will not start up happened again. It sounds and looks like all conditions of it turning on, except for the fact it doesn't go to or past any boot screen. After speaking with an off-shore call center worker and finding out that the computer is no longer under warranty, he became frank with me saying I should never have bought it in the first place. 

Yes, the tech-support worker recommended that no one buys this particular Slimline PC. 

Not only do all the parts cost double than similar parts for normal desktops, the tiny cramped space inside the computer overheats easily. 

The guy from tech support recommended buying a new PC all together as the price of a diagnostic/motherboard/shipping would be roughly $350 out of warranty. He advised me to stray away from Slimlines because they are not worth the hassle. 

If you want a smaller desktop PC, get an All-in-One or a desktop replacement laptop. This PC just is not worth the hassle, as tech-support even said. 

(I used this product as my main computer for 2 years through college and home use. I watched and downloaded videos, played games, and edited pictures for most of my use of it as a media center PC. I worked four years as an IT supervisor and rarely have seen computers need to be fixed as much as this one.)

4 of 4 people found the following review helpful:
1.0 out of 5 stars Run Away! HP Nightmare!!, August 29, 2009

I purchased this computer almost 2 years ago, and it starts freezing up and eventually crashes every 4 to 5 months. It has had 3 motherboard's replaced! Now, it is out of the extended warranty period (HP extended it because of the motherboard problems with this computer) AND THE MOTHER BOARD IS GOING OUT AGAIN. This is actually motherboard #5, so if you don't mind being without a computer for weeks at a time, then buy this computer, and you can also have fun staying on the phone with the wonderfull customer service dept at HP!! Only this time, mine is completely out of waranty, so I'm going to have to replace this nightmare. Sure do wish you could give this zero or Minus stars, it doesn't deserve a "1".

3 of 3 people found the following review helpful:
1.0 out of 5 stars Major Hardware Problems after the first year, August 11, 2009
By 
Joseph Laimo (Long Island, NY) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)   

Computer worked wonderfully for the first year. It was a great computer for a while. However, there is a known flaw with the slimline model. The computer does not boot up. I have sent it back 2 times, and now have to send it backa third time. Each time, it works for a month, then it breaks again. Not a good model from HP. 

3 of 3 people found the following review helpful:
1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer Beware!!!, January 27, 2009

I have owned this computer for approximately one year and have begun to have problems with it freezing. Have tried everything (including having it check by a computer tech.), but have had no luck fixing the problem. There is an warranty enhancement of one year on this computer (product numbers GC665AA-ABA and GC665AAR-ABA) for motherboard problems, but HP has refused to fix the computer until it locks up for good - it is now only an intermittent problem. Check the reviews on other sites - this computer is known for overheating and motherboard problems. Don't make the same mistake I made - computers should last more than one year!

2 of 2 people found the following review helpful:
1.0 out of 5 stars This Computer never did run well., August 19, 2009
By 
Laura Rice (Sacramento, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)   

I've had problems with this computer from day one: two years ago. Unfortunately I was locked into a Staples/HP warranty. Which they won't honor. They just keep taking it back and "fixing" it. It has been in and out of the "shop" a number of times. The first time it had to be re-imaged for some unknown reason which took Staples forever to do. Now Staples has had it for going on 7 weeks. First it was the mother board then it was a fan and a component on the mother board. Now it won't even boot. Currently (still in the "shop") Staples is working on replacing it....after two years of headaches. Oh I forgot the downloaded software packages are temporary. They are just samples so forget about that. The sleep mode never worked. And the D drive would mysteriously fill up for no apparent reason. I hate it. The worst product I have ever bought. I should have stuck with Dell.

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 2 of 3 (2,112 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion Slimline s3120n TV PC takes hours to boot, then runs impossibly slow.

Hi Bob,

Do you know the make and model of hard drive in your PC? This may be the source of slow booting.

Do you know the make and model of the optical drive in your PC?  There are firmware updates and bios updates available for the HP s3120n.

UBUNTU 11.04 is available and it might be faster than 10.04.

Each time you had your PC repaired, did it come back and operate correctly immediately after you booted the PC up?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Honor Student
BobHurt
Message 3 of 3 (2,075 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion Slimline s3120n TV PC takes hours to boot, then runs impossibly slow.

[ Edited ]

I think you need to read my story:

In 2007 John Proios of Clearwater, Florida, purchased a new HP Pavilion Slimline s3120n TV PC (refurb value $318 on 23 Nov 2011), a beautiful, compact desktop micro-tower powered by an Athlon dual-core CPU with 2G RAM, 320G 7200 rpm hard drive, DVD burner, built-in television tuner, monitor, keyboard, mouse, and Windows Vista. 

John spent over $1000 on the system but he didn’t use it often.  Nevertheless, about 3 months later, the computer stopped working properly, taking several hours to boot up and show the Windows desktop.  John contacted HP support and sent the product for repair.  HP returned it in due course.  It still functioned as it had when he sent it to them.  It had become useless.

Like so many other computer buyers, John immigrated to the USA from Europe.  At the age of five he watched Nazi warplanes lob bombs onto his Greek island home, spent over 2 years in an Israeli refugee camp, returned home with his parents to rebuild, and made his way to seek his fortune in New York City at the age of 17.  John worked as a bookbinder and as a furrier, married, learned to play classical guitar, and in time moved to a retirement condominium in Florida.  There, knowing nothing about computers, he bought his junk HP Pavilion Slimline s3120n TV PC.

Instead of complaining again at HP after the company’s first failure to repair his s3120n, John set it aside and used an old laptop with a cracked screen. He bought a cheap monitor and used the laptop to play chess and conduct trade on e-Bay.  I, a 40-year computer industry veteran, met John because of our common interest in guitars.  One day about 6 months ago he asked me to look at his HP s3120n to see what I could find out. 

First, I tried to boot it up, but walked away in disappointment when the screen remained blank.  Hours later I returned to see a Windows Vista desktop on the screen.  I realized that the computer did work, but ran slowly.  I put in my live UBUNTU disk and booted it.  It took hours to come up, and I installed it on the hard drive.  It still took hours to work,.  That convinced me that John’s computer had a hardware problem.

I opened the computer and saw not a single fleck of dust.  The computer looked brand new.  Well, why wouldn’t it?  John barely used it and HP repair folks (I hope) repaired it.  I reseated the memory module and TV card and powered it up again.  As before, it took nearly forever to boot.  I concluded it needed a component change.  I visited the web to look for repair hints to corroborate my assessment. http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1AVSX_enUS383US383&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=hp+s3120n+problems

What I saw shocked me. There in front of my eyes I saw dozens of reports of heat sensitivity in this model.  When the s3120n overheats, motherboard or other components start dying.  That means you cannot merely swap a card, chip, module, or drive.  Typically, you have to remove the plug-in components and swap the motherboard, a project that typically costs $300 to $500 for a name-brand repair company (like HP) to do.  Maintenance professionals well know that if the repair costs less than half the price of a new system, the customer will usually fall for it and buy the repair job.

Some of the writers concluded that the s3120n has a fatal heat sensitivity problem and went on to discuss how to cool the system.,  This one typifies them:

http://superuser.com/questions/194242/installing-an-additional-fan-in-an-hp-slimline-s3120n

Installing an additional fan in an HP Slimline s3120n

I've read many terrible things about this particular computer model's overheat issues. In addition, all of the dozen or so reviews I've read mention that the motherboard fries with 6-12 months of use. One guy claimed to be on his fifth mobo in less than a year.

Having just refurbished one of these puppies for my brother to use as his office PC, I'm worried, even though there's not much dust in his office and there's plenty of room around the case in all directions. I want to permanently forestall these potential overheat issues. I'm supposing the best way to do this is by installing an additional fan. The main problem so far is...

... the s3120n's case is tiny.

It seems that the only location in which an additional fan could be installed is on the side below the CPU's fan. Even then, no fan larger than 50mm is going to fit, and even a 50mm is going to be a tight squeeze against one (currently empty) card slot. Thus, I'm considering a 40mm fan like the SilenX IXP-13-14 (20mm deep), mounted on the side and pushing into the case and onto the mobo's heat dissipator (or what appears to be the mobo's heat dissipator). This would be perpendicular to the PSU's intake/exhaust fans' flow (front to back) as well as the CPU's single fan (which pulls from the front).

I'm comfortable with computers' "guts", but I've never installed a case fan. I've found no guidance online on how to install a case fan when there's no special fan-mounting location on the case, as with this surreally tiny Slimline. My current trajectory is to get the fan and install/jerry-rig it on the side using the case's many tiny side-vent holes.

Here is an HP article and video that should give an idea of this case, its dimensions, and the relative locations of its internals.

My questions are general ones: Am I on the right track? How might you, my dear saving answerer, go about this? Thank you in advance for simply bearing with my long, detailed explanation.

This Amazon.com complaint pretty well summarizes what disgruntled customers have to say:

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-S3120N-Slimline-Processor/product-reviews/B000S6PLVE

6 of 6 people found the following review helpful:

1.0 out of 5 stars HP s3120n runs so hot it will burn out within a year - mine did
Putting an Athlon 64 into a small form factor case is a BAD IDEA. You need laptop chipsets in a small form factor case otherwise the thermal load on the system will lead to premature failure. My s3120n is now a door-stop that will not even POST. 

This computer has inadequate cooling and runs really hot. Heat kills computer chips.

Published on August 1, 2008 by App

Cnet.com’s Senior Editor Matt Elliot has written this: 

“A typical PC should give you 3 to 5 years of good use before you need to look for a replacement or upgrades. By comparison, though a monitor loses its brightness over time, it certainly won't need to be replaced every 5 years..” http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10166_7-5543710-1.html.

The typical s3120n customer gets less than a year of trouble-free performance, and when it does fail after the 1-year warranty, repair becomes prohibitively costly.  Customers have a reasonable expectation that their computers will last well beyond the traditional one-year warranty, up to 5 years.  If it does not last that long and repair cost makes repair unfeasible by approaching the cost of a competitive replacement, one can reasonably assume that the manufacturer cheated the customer by delivering a substandard product, substandard according to industry standards.

I concluded the following as a consequence of the foregoing:

1. HP employees poorly designed the s3120n, neglecting an important standard in computer construction – provision of adequate cooling. 
  2. HP employees discovered its terrible flaws during burn-in and simulated life-testing, but ignored the resulting failures, probably under some senior manager’s time pressure. 
  3. HP managers responsible for the s3120n ordered shipment of the product in spite of knowing about the heat sensitivity problem. 
  4. HP managers reasoned that they would pay for repair costs during warranty, but after one year they would ignore the fact that customers worldwide expect to get 5 to 10 years of service out of a computer without a catastrophic motherboard failure.
  5. S3120n sysrems began failing widely, but HP senior managers refused to issue a product recall notice, even though they knew that hundreds or thousands of systems would become doorstops because the customers they victimized would simply refuse to pay exorbitant repair costs.

I called HP support to test my theory.  The support man spoke kindly to me but resolutely insisted he could do nothing to compensate me for the junk s3120n computer John had bought on good faith.  I complained vociferously to him, explaining that I had worked in the Loveland Instrument Division of HO back in the 1970’s and that we would never subject our customers to such a cavalier distribution of known-defective products as HP did with the s3120n.  He suggested I write to the HP CEO executive team at http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/execteam/email/ceo/index.html.  I sent him this text, alleging I, not John, suffered loss of the computer, to conserve explanation:

I write to take issue with HP's manner of dealing with heat sensitivity of the Pavilion Slimline s3120n TV PC. I believe mine constitutes a case in point. Within the first year of use the computer became so slow that it took several hours to boot. A friend of mine had used it and set it aside for several months to use his laptop. Then he gave it to me to fix. It worked as I mentioned above. I tried reseating components. The system had no dust or debris in it because of its scant use. I googled for others with similar problems and I found several, most notably the vocal customers who wrote about it at Amazon.com, thoroughly condemning it for heat sensitivity and repeated failures after repeated repairs.

A FAQ at hp web site suggested putting a fan in it and maintaining adequate clearance around it for air flow.

I have determined that the s3120n has a serious design flaw. Components overheat because of poor circulation, probably caused by insufficient ground clearance and insufficient fans for the tight space of the ATX form-factor inside that tiny case and the powerful dual core CPU in it. But for this you would have happy customers.

I found no warnings to buyers or recall notices. I asked for some accommodation. The support person refused, politely of course, claiming expired warranty. I have concluded that HP knew of this problem after many customers complained about it, and yet swept it under the rug thankful for expired warranty. As you know everyone expects their computer to last years, not a single year. With this system, HP has cheated customers out of that expectation.

In the mid 1970's I worked for the Loveland Instrument Division in Colorado. We developed and manufactured high reliability test and measurement instruments. Our customers would have condemned us if any equipment ever operated as the s3120n has. This computer therefore constitutes a grave embarrassment to me and to HP. Unfortunately, HP behaves about this item as a bumpkin guest might who just eructed loudly at the dinner table and pretended not to smell the stench or notice the sound emanating from his body. Such behavior goes way beyond the faux pas. The embarrassment would convince all present never to invite that guest.

I know HP has lost a lot of business because of this product, owing to the incessant failure and irreparable damage to customer good will. I for one have made up my mind never to purchase another HP product UNLESS HP provides me with a suitable replacement for the s3120n, GC665AA, SN CNH78023DK, now out of warranty.

I can't fire your engineering manager, but I can fire HP and buy elsewhere while I blow the whistle far and wide about HP's dereliction of duty to its customers. I don't mean these comments as a threat, but rather as a conviction. HP has one way to remedy this aside from full refund: a replacement system with similar or better performance for my friend John Proios who suffered considerable disappointment and inconvenience, even more than I did, from the premature failure of the system.

I look forward to hearing from you. If you react ethically as we both know you should, I'll write a glowing report of your accommodation efforts, subject to your approval.

The next day I received a call from HP Case Manager Douglas, caller ID 650-857-1502, in response to the above complaint. I reiterated my complaint and asked for remedy, such as a replacement computer of some kind.  He said because of policy and warranty he couldn’t do anything about the problem.  I insisted that he bring a supervisor to the phone.  Executive case manager Jody said “there is nothing we can do – the unit is 2 years out of warranty.”  I said give me someone who can say yes, not a thousand who can only say no.  Finally, HP Escalation Department Floor Manager Garfield Wilson came to the phone, listened to my explanation and appeal, and said emphatically before hanging up on me. “We are not going to replace the unit because it is out of warranty.”  I insisted that he put the CEO on the phone.  He refused.  I alerted him that I intended to make the public aware of HP’s intentional defrauding of s3120n buyers by selling them units with known design flaws that would dramatically increase cost of ownership, and then refusing to give customers remedy outside the one-year warranty period.  He told me “Do what you have to do.”

I have decided to follow through on my commitment. 

Therefore, I hereby encourage all who feel inclined to purchase or sell Hewlett Packard brand name computers to remember the above story.  If it can happen to one model, it can happen over and over and over to innocent buyers and salespersons.  If it does, the salesperson will become complicit in a what I consider a fraud – intentional misrepresentation that results in injury and damages to the customer.  And, the customer will receive a lemon with a design flaw so bad that every one will exhibit serious performance or reliability problems that will become expensive to repair.  Such victims will expend time and money and suffer frustration because the computer will stop working, the customer will have to troubleshoot it, then call support, then do without a computer while sending it for repair.  This can happen several times during the first year.  In succeeding years, the customer will have3 to payh nearly half the product cost to repair it, then eventually give up and use it for a “boat anchor” or “doorstop”, send it to Florida for use in building an artificial reef, drop it out a 10-story building in frustration just to see it smash and scatter parts on the concrete below, or salvage any possible parts from it and sell it for scrap or trash it.

For all of you, why not tell HP to consider bypassing you and all that trouble, and just scrap it themselves?

I shall NOT KNOWINGLY PURCHASE ANOTHER HP PRODUCT OF ANY KIND, not EVER, unless HP gives me and John remedy for this outrageous dereliction of moral and ethical duty, and for our frustration, expense, and waste of parts of our lives we will never get back, all because HP employees made a business decision to cheat customers rather than conduct business honorably.

I encourage EVERYONE contemplating purchase of an HP computer to look to a competitive product instead.  I encourage a general boycott of HP till the CEO makes the RIGHT decision to make up to its customers for selling them junk which HP employees KNEW was junk, and using the warranty period to get out of the good faith obligation to provide computers that live up to market expectations of a  3-to-5-year useful life.

[Personal Information Removed]

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation