Question
HP Pavilion Slimline s7600n keeps shutting down (randomly)
Replies (75)

Tutor
stormsfury
Message 61 of 76 (3,632 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion Slimline s7600n keeps shutting down (randomly)

One last post on the Slimline. Since my first post I have been letting it run non-stop, 24 hours a day with Win 7 and it has not shut off once!

This morning I decided to try one last time, a fresh load of Win XP on a 3rd brand new Hard Drive.

I got the load done and in a little under 10 minutes it shut off. I tried to upgrade to SP3 and couldnt even get it loaded.

So i slipstreamed SP3 into the OS load and re-loaded XP with SP3 just to test and it still shuts off!

As a computer repair center owner I do not understand how this can be...but it is. It will not shut off with Windows 7 installed. Just wanted everyone to know how its going for my slimline.

Tutor
iamokaye
Message 62 of 76 (3,568 Views)

Ok -- now I really have a strange fix to my on-going shut-off problem.

First let me say that if I have just booted my computer  I can only get to my email one out of 3 times before my system shuts down again and I have to start the re-boot, login process all over again (extremely frustrating!)

Now,  if the very first thing I do is open a very large directory of pictures, then open Explorer and  my e-mail I can go for a week without ever shutting down. As a matter of fact, the only random shut down problems I had were due to me shutting it down to see if I could recreate the stability. It took me about 4 random shut downs to somehow stabilize again. Now I'm on the 8th day without a problem.

My only (reasonable) explanation to this would be if I'm stuffing a large block of memory, thus covering some sort of logical trap. So.... FM, but it's working!

Someone out there still crashing regularly should try it and report back. I have had weeks of no random shut downs. and I've very curious!

Top Student
Kunou
Message 63 of 76 (3,553 Views)

It seems the random shut downs happen differently to each person...err, computer. Stormsfury may have found his solution, but his solution doesn't work on mine and some others. Also, mine doesn't shut down in less than 10 minutes like some of the others. It shuts down at any random moment, regardless of me checking hundreds of web pages a day (I'm not exaggerating), watching movies, playing games, or just letting it stay idle.

In my own conclusion, every one of our slimlines will shut off for different reasons or for whatever, unexpectedly random moments. So keep on trying to solve your own slimline problem, guys. This is just a piece of crap model HP should fix, not us. I gave up on mine and just bought a new computer (hypocrite as it may sound, it's an HP because it was at a bargain price). I use the bad one a few times a day and it hasn't shut down (at least it hasn't since two weeks ago when I got my new one).

Good luck, people. Or better yet, you might be better off with an eMachine. LOL!

Student
achilles711
Message 64 of 76 (3,464 Views)

I have been fighting with this issue now for weeks and think I have a workaround to at least make your pc's usable.  Go into msconfig and select only programs and services that are absolutely required for your use.  I only started the print spooler and network services and then only programs from the startup tab that I absolutely needed.  I got this idea because I was able to run the unit in Safe Mode and it would not shut down.  I have been running the slimline now for over 2 hours with the case cover on and it seems to be ok.  If it stays on I will start adding programs and services until I start shutting down again.  This is a long drawn out process but it's the only way to determine what is causing the shutdown.  Hope this helps.

Tutor
stormsfury
Message 65 of 76 (3,300 Views)

Just a quick note on my Slimline. To this day I continue to use it at least 8 to 10 solid hours a day and it has not shut off once with Win 7. About a month ago I performed a final fresh load of XP on a new hard drive and it began to shut off after about 20 minutes of loading the XP Desktop. It still has me baffled as to what it could be and why 7 runs perfectly. Just thought I would post an update since it has been a few months now and I have had time to run 7 on the Slimlime for a good bit.

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 66 of 76 (3,289 Views)

[ Edited ]

stormsfury,

ACPI support is probably deficient in XP.  Read these articles.

Check your event logs at the time of the shutdown.  What do you see?

If your are running XP sp3, do you have this patch installed?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Honor Student
MrMikeT
Message 67 of 76 (1,746 Views)

Hi,

I am running into the same problem.  Work on this same model # HP Pavilion Slimline s7627c.  And it would randomly shut down.  I thought it was a power supply problem.  So I replace the Power Supply and it still does it.

It originally had the XP media addition on it.  But someone upgraded to Vista Black.  They hated it so I installed a fresh copy of XP pro with service pack 3 on it.  I am now thinking it is an air flow problem so I am going to remove the cheapy fan and put a new CPU cooler on it.  See if that helps.

Honor Student
MrMikeT
Message 68 of 76 (1,744 Views)

I ran into this and it wasn't a hardware issue like I thought.  I installed a new powersupply. It still shut down. I found that  It was a service pack 3 issue from microsoft.

The service pack assumes you have an intel chip which with the slimline s7627c PC is an AMD Athlon X2 chip.

First you have to uninstall the service pack 3.  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249

Then you have to log on your admin account and install the AMD service pack 3 fix file from the HP support page.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=pv-60484-2&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...

Now my PC is no longer shutting down.  I hope this works for you.

Tutor
iamokaye
Message 69 of 76 (1,738 Views)

I finally replaced the computer. I went through the same steps you are trying now, plus I had an electrician put in a dedicated line with a UPS on it. It did get better for a while. Maybe shut down once  day instead of once an hour. That was with the new electrical and new fan (mine was an external fan). The frustration got to me and I replaced it while I could still boot and transfer data with ease.

Top Student
Kunou
Message 70 of 76 (1,732 Views)

MrMikeT, I have that exact same PC (s7627c). And you're right, it's not the power supply because I did replace it with a better one myself. I had to return it since it didn't help.

I am turning on the machine to uninstall Service Pack 3 and install the AMD version. I will try to report back in 5 days or less, depending on the outcome. Thanks for the links! This could be the actual fix! :smileyvery-happy:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation