10-29-2010 10:33 PM
Please see: Manuals for HP Pavilion a500n Desktop PC
Q. "Does anyone know if the a500n has an internal fuse that will kill everything?"
A. No. If your PC will not turn-on, check the power cord connection. If its OK, you may have a bad Power Supply Unit (PSU) or a bad motherboard. If your PC is older than five (5) years, consider replacing it with a new one. Excellent deals can be found at the HP Store.
Windows Expert - Consumer
10-30-2010 01:30 PM - edited 10-30-2010 01:35 PM
The 500 series is notorious for the Bestec PSU. I have replaced several. A simple test will determine is the PSU is dead.
1) Unplug all cables, and I mean all of them.
2) Lay computer on side, and open case. At this point, you must stay grounded to the chassis either with one hand, or using a "ground strap" ($5-10) nominal cost. A ground strap is a wire that connects your wrist to the computer frame.
3) Reconnect only the power cord. Look at back of the PSU for the green LED light.
4) Is it "on"? If so, continue. If not, the PSU is totally DEAD.
5) Press the power-on button, the CPU fan sound spin. If it stops, the PSU is DEAD.
6) Again, press the power-on button, but watch the power-on button. Did it go "out"? If so, the PSU is DEAD.
Now for the replacement news. It uses a micro PSU that is not normally stocked locally.
If you look, you may see these numbers: Part number 5187-1098 or equivalent.
Here is a cross-reference:
The good news is a slight high wattage supply would cost less than $30.00 (look at greater than 250 watt)
The above is only an example, you can search for other suppliers of the ATX-1953D or it's replacement. But be sure of the sizing. To even replace the PSU you'll have to slide the CD drive forward, as the PSU butts' up into the CD cabling.
Exact replacement 250 watt, less than $20
To say THANK YOU, press the white "thumbs up" on the left, to render a KUDO.
Please click Accept as Solution, just to the right of my reply if your problem is solved.
You can render both Solution and KUDO
HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB WIN7-64bit
Custom Asus P8P67 board, I7-2600k, WIN7 Pro 64bit, GTX670 2GB, 16GB RAM, 750W OCZ, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
HP m9200t CTO,Win7 Pro 32 bit. 4GB RAM, ASUS 550Ti 2GB, Rosewill 630W. 1T HD SATA 3Gb/s
HP m8100eCTO WIN7 Ultimate 32bit, 4GB RAM, XFX5670 1GB, Rosewill 530W. 1T HD SATA 3Gb/s
Printer -- OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus