Question

Honor Student
skags01
Message 1 of 9 (5,280 Views)

HP Pavilion dv7 notebook PC w/ windows 7 wireless internet connection problem

My laptop will say that I am connected to the internet, but the blue light for my wireless assistant button will not light up. When I try to connect to the internet I get a screen saying there is an error with my internet connection. When I try to diagnose the connection problem no problem is found. I can press the wireless assistant button on my laptop and it will turn orange and turn off the wireless assistant, but when I press it again the button turns black (disappears, instead of turning blue). Can somebody please help me fix this problem?

Provost
lasvegaswireman
Message 2 of 9 (5,226 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv7 notebook PC w/ windows 7 wireless internet connection problem

[ Edited ]

By writing "My laptop will say that I am connected to the internet", do you mean you that your laptop is connected to a wireless network??? If you are connected to wireless network, you still may not be able to reach the internet if some settings are incorrect. I would guess there may be a problem with your router/access point settings, your wireless adapter settings and/or, your internet explorer settings.

As for the light not turning "Blue", sound like it has burned out or the like. Both my wife and I had HP dv9617nr laptops and hers toggled between orange and blue depending on the position of the wireless enable/disable switch. Mine may have worked like that original but at sometime the "Blue" light stopped working while the "Orange" continued to work, however the wireless connection continued to work fine.

Frank

Frank
{------------ Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my assistance has solved your issue. ------------V

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP.

HP 15t-j100 (on loan from HP)
HP 13 Split x2 (on loan from HP)
HP Slate8 Pro (on loan from HP)
HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
Honor Student
skags01
Message 3 of 9 (5,214 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv7 notebook PC w/ windows 7 wireless internet connection problem

Yes Frank, it says I am connected to a wireless network but I still have not been able to access the internet (I'm on my work computer now). None of my settings or the routers settings have been changed recently.

Provost
lasvegaswireman
Message 4 of 9 (5,211 Views)

[ Edited ]

If you are connected to the network but can't connect to the internet, a problem clearly exists. Depending on your network configuration different steps may need to be taken. Generically... unplug or turn-off all network and network related equipment (routers, access points, DSL/Cable modems, switches, hubs, etc.) and the computer having the problem. After about 30 second start powering up the equipment in the following order; 1st = DSL/Cable modem, 2nd = router, 3rd = switches, hubs and AP's, lastly power up the computer and test your connection. If still not working, type "cmd" (without the qoutes) in the program menu's search box and press ENTER. Next, type "ipconfig /all" (again, w/o the qoutes) and press ENTER. Now copy the results to here and I will review it for you. Please remove any/all physical addresses aka MAC addresses before posting.

Also consider reseting IE settings; tools, internet options, advanced, reset.

Frank

Frank
{------------ Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my assistance has solved your issue. ------------V

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP.

HP 15t-j100 (on loan from HP)
HP 13 Split x2 (on loan from HP)
HP Slate8 Pro (on loan from HP)
HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
Honor Student
thescottguy
Message 5 of 9 (5,157 Views)

My new brand new (2 day old) dv7 HP laptop is having similar problems.  A little sign comes on randomly announcing that "The Network is available"  then a bit later (without touching a thing) "My HP WiFi is no longer available." 

At least they admit it's their bloody WiFi.   It's not my home system all other wireless devices around here are working just fine.

Someone said this is an issue that happens with their network cards when they are overloaded. 

This newest laptop cost $2,000.  For that kind of money H.P. can afford to check the quality control of computers that come off the production line better than they have.  

I had a similar problem last year with another HP laptop.  I had to send it in.

If I have to send THIS one in it's going to be the last HP I ever buy.  I used to think H.P. was reliable.   Now I'm beginning to have SERIOUS doubts.

Student
TPA22033
Message 6 of 9 (5,033 Views)

I started having the same problem with my brand new dv7 tonight. Very frustrating. The wireless interface on the laptop said I was connected to my home router's internet connection; but the systray icon said that I wasn't. I checked the router, nothing seemed out of the ordinary. All other wireless devices in the house are connecting fine. When you had to send in your laptop last time you had this problem, how long did it take to resolve and get your laptop back? Has anyone found a solution to this -- firmware update perhaps?

Student
Cation
Message 7 of 9 (4,965 Views)

Same type of problem with my 3 month old dv7 -- used to work fine, suddenly stopped being able to connect to my wireless network.  All other devices connect fine still.  I spent over 2 hours with hp support last night -- reinstalling/removing/updating the drivers -- which of course I had already tried anyways before I called.   I'm pretty sure this is a hardware issue with the wireless card -- but HP won't take the unit back for repair until we do a full system restore.  Ugh. 

Student
kanderson314
Message 8 of 9 (3,570 Views)

I have a new (less than three months) Pavilion dv7. Twice I get a message for Windows updates and when I reboot after updates, I cannot get wireless connection.  I have checked the router, restarted  and still no connection on laptop. Eventually the connection will come on after several restarts on laptop. Is this a driver issue or something else? I have checked my driver updates and everything is up to date. Should this be a problem with a very new laptop? Is this a Windows issue?

Student
shvan
Message 9 of 9 (1,344 Views)

no active wirliss waht ?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation