Question

Honor Student
ESNYC
Message 1 of 4 (800 Views)

HP Pavilion m9350f doesn't start bios until several power on/offs

I have had an HP Pavilion m9350f desktop computer for 3 years. For the past few months, when the computer power is turned on, it does not start up the first time. In order to get the computer booted up, I have to power the computer on and off anywhere from 3 to 10+ times.

Recently during the diagnostics test it said my hard drive crashed, so I bought a new hard drive and used the recovery disks, but the restarting issue is still there.

When I power up the computer, the power lights go on and the moving parts are moving but there is no video signal. It does not even reach the bios startup screen. Once it finally clicks, and the bios shows, then the computer starts up like it should.

Once the computer is on, the diagnostics tool goes over all the tests and everything passes. There is a new hard drive with the factory restored files and all Windows and HP Updates have been applied, including the bios update and latest video card drivers from the manufacturer.

What could the issue be ? Bios? Motherboard? Videocard? Powersupply? I already replaced the hard drive.

Please help!
Thanks

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 2 of 4 (774 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion m9350f doesn't start bios until several power on/offs

Hi,

Try this procedure:

Unplug the PC and open it up. Clean out all the dust. Carefully remove and replace all the cables going to the motherboard one at a time. Do the same for the memory dimms and the video and sound cards if you have any.  You might want to buy a can of compressed air to blow the dust out of the CPU heat sink.  Plug your PC back in and give it a go.

The power supply might be the next thing to try.  A local competent PC repair shop should have a bench power supply and/or a power supply tester that should be able to determine if the power supply is weak.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Honor Student
ESNYC
Message 3 of 4 (740 Views)

Hi! Thanks for your response Big_Dave.

So far, I have replaced the hard drive, power supply unit and bios battery.

The dust was cleaned from inside the case and all the hard to reach places!
I unplugged and reconnected all wires/memory/cards/components/etc from the motherboard.
All software including drivers/servicepacks/bios/etc were updated.

After all of this, I still have the same issue. When the computer is turned on or restarts, it takes multiple hard resets in order to get the computer booted up. It takes all of these resets for even the initial bios to start up. Everytime the computer is turned on, all the lights turn on and fans are going but only sometimes it actually goes into the startup sequence.

Any additional thoughts? Is my computer still salvagable ? Thanks!

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 4 of 4 (737 Views)

Hi,

Try this article on troubleshooting power supply issues.  Don't skip any steps and see if you can isolate the issue. See if you can consistently get to the HP splash screen at some point in the process.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation