Question

Top Student
MrHandyJay
Message 1 of 8 (518 Views)

HP Pavilion p2-1033w Boot-up problems

Hi, I own a HP Pavilion p2-1033w desktop PC however i'm having problems booting it up. To make a long story short i'm trying to install a different OS on my hard drive, I have the boot-up disk which is XP, but when I try to start up the disk no option comes up in the boot menu mentioning my DVD drive, which has the disk in. All wires are inserted correctly into the DVD drive yet there is still no option to choose it from the boot menu. The only option it mentions is PXE bootup. So any help would be appreciated. Extra info: (the PC used to run Windows 8 64-bit) (the hard drive is blank too, if I just leave it, it says no system disk has been inserted)
Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 8 (497 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion p2-1033w Boot-up problems

Hi:

I believe on your PC, you need to start it up and at the beginning of the HP welcome screen, tap the Esc key to get a menu of options.

See if there is a Legacy Boot option where you select the F9 key and then see if you can select the DVD drive from a list of options.

I take it that you are aware that XP will not install on your PC without installing the SATA AHCI driver at the F6 prompt, or slipstreamed into a copy of your XP installation disk.

The other method of installing XP on your PC would be to check the BIOS and see if there is a setting to enable IDE mode. 

XP will install that way, but your hard drive performance will be slightly to moderately degraded.

Top Student
MrHandyJay
Message 3 of 8 (491 Views)

Thanks, but when I go to the boot menu (F9) an option for my DVD drive does not appear, all it says is: 'UEFI Boot Sources Windows Boot Manager UEFI IPV4 Atheros Network UEFI IPV6 Atheros Network' I went to the computer settings from the BIOS but it none of that worked either.
Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 8 (489 Views)

Is there a legacy mode setting in one of the BIOS menus itself?

The problem with these new-fangled UEFI BIOS's is that they do not naturally boot from anything but a hard drive (Windows boot manager) or network drive in some cases.

On my HP 8200 Elite, when I hit the Esc key, I get the legacy boot options right there, and I can boot from any device I want when I select it from the menu.

Top Student
MrHandyJay
Message 5 of 8 (488 Views)

I couldn't find anything about legacy boot settings, however I did find something which mentions it, I go to Boot Order from the BIOS menu, and it says 'Legacy boot sources: disabled' and I try to enable it but it just remains disabled, plus there is nothing under that list.
Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 6 of 8 (486 Views)

You gotta figure out how to enable that.

I can't help you there though, since I don't have your model PC, and there is no reference material on the BIOS settings.

Until you can find the setting to enable the legacy boot sources, you will never be able to boot from the DVD.

There's gotta be a way...

Top Student
MrHandyJay
Message 7 of 8 (485 Views)

Would a different DVD drive work perhaps?
Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 8 of 8 (482 Views)

I highly doubt it.

The BIOS controls all bootable devices.

You're not even getting a USB boot option so that would mean a USB DVD wouldn't work either.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation