Question

Honor Student
Tprivitor
Message 1 of 4 (258 Views)

HP Pavilion p2-1105 Desktop PC 2.0 USB Problems

[ Edited ]

The other day my P2-1105 went through an update and restarted. After the reboot, only 2 of the pc's 6 USB ports worked.

Both of the front 2.0 ports were still reciving power but not reading or detecting anything

2/4 on the back 2.0 ports were not recieving power but the other 2 on the back were working fine.

I Have tried uninstalling drivers and hubs (which is a nightmare since there are no P/S ports)

I Have removed battery to reset

I Have check the front ports wires and all were fine

I Have checked the BIOS and all appeard to be enable

I Have did a system restore to before the update

the mother board has no PCI slots so i cant add a USB card

If the remainder 2 ports die i wont be able to access the comp at all

HELP!!!!!!

And go figure the warranty expireds just over 90 days ago

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 2 of 4 (228 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion p2-1105 Desktop PC 2.0 USB Problems

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Unplug all USB devices and reboot. What device does not work in the USB ports?

What does Device Manager indicate for the ports when you insert a low powered device (not on a hub)?

-------------------------------------------------- other things to try

1. Look at the power on light and make sure that it's a steady blue and no beeps.
  2. Hit f2 (diagnostics) at boot up and run a full set to make sure that most of the PC'c components work properly.
  3. Boot back into the bios (f10) and go to the security tab --> USB and make sure all ports are enabled.
  4. Go into Device Manager and make sure that each USB controller is marked as working properly. Look for abnormal conditions for all devices and not just the USB controllers.
  5. Boot into Safe mode (f8) and then test the ports and look in Device Manager for USB errors and other errors.
  6. Open up the RUN window and enter the following: CMD then enter then sfc/ scannow and enter
  7. Consider a repair install. Review this article.
  8. Backup your data and then use the HP recovery disks to bring your PC back to a factory fresh condition.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Honor Student
Tprivitor
Message 3 of 4 (212 Views)

[ Edited ]

Big_Dave wrote:

What device does not work in the USB ports?

**in the front ports, i used the mouse to test. the mouse light comes on but computer dont detect the mouse or keyboard for that matter. In the 2 non working ports on the back, the mousr light doesnt even come on. In the 2 working ports on the back, the mouse has no problems and works fine**

What does Device Manager indicate for the ports when you insert a low powered device (not on a hub)?

** All the Universal Serial Bus Controlers say they are working properly, even the ones that have no power. Well i assume all the ports are working properly, not sure which ones go to which port **

Also i did try sfc/ scannow but it came back with this must be run as an administrator and my user account is the admin

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 4 of 4 (199 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Try the Symantec Security scan to see if you have issues.

If you do have issues then try these Symantec Rescue Tools.

You have a Window 7 PC, yes?

If you are logged on as an administrator and you can't run the sfc command from the RUN window then you have other issues on your PC. Try this can see if you can run the sfc command. Open an elevated command prompt. To by clicking on Start -->All Programs-->Accessories then right mouse on Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow. You shouldn't have to do the above but give it a go.  If it fails, then try the below suggestion.

It's time for the repair install.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation