Question

Honor Student
jordanmc97
Message 1 of 6 (131 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Pavilion p6-2469ea replacing with a newer graphics card?

So after hours of stressing out online and planning on upgrading the case, PSU and to a GTX 760,  I came across conflicting comments and other users experiences when installing new graphics cards into the PC.

My PCI-E X16 slot is a 2.0 whereas the card is 3.0, however they're backwards compatible so all it means is I lose a few frames, However, users have said HP lock their computers that are prebuilt and prevent anyone installing new parts that aren't origanlly installed.

I need to know whether this is true before dropping £300 + on hardware to upgrade this PC or whether to get rid of it and build one from scratch.

If anyone can help I'd appreciate it very much.

The motherboard is the blue/white MS-7778 Jasmine if that helps, with a Nvidea geforce GT 620 card

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 6 (124 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion p6-2469ea replacing with a newer graphics card?

If you wanted something upgradeable to gaming specs, then you should have chosen a desktop PC from the high performance Envy series.

Even the lowest spec unit  in the Envy desktop PC  category has PCI Express  Gen 3.0 slots.

I wouldn't upgrade your current unit if FPS in games are that important to you. That is my take on it.

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
jordanmc97
Message 3 of 6 (121 Views)

The 2.0 PCI-E X16 slot is barely relevant, I asked if HP allow upgrades or whether I need to sell it and build one from scratch, I chose the one I did due to money related issues, It still has an able proccessor for gaming, hence why I asked if Hp allow graphics card upgrades.

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 6 (106 Views)

[ Edited ]

OK.

It is indeed upgradeable. Ensure that you check all prospective video card system requirements to see if they require that you upgrade the PSU. Check the specs for your PC to see how many Watts (RMS) the PSU delivers. I just checked. It has only 300 Watts. It would be better  to upgrade to one with a bit more grunt (@450 Watts or better) if your plan is to upgrade to a video card that has some real power.

Most lower end PC's do not have PSUs  that come equipped with PCIe six and eight pin power connectors. They are required for the mainstream and higher end graphics cards.

The video card you asked about:

Requirements

Minimum of a 350 Watt power supply.

(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 18 Amps.)

Total Power Draw : 49 Watts

Some versions of the video card, depending on the installed vRAM require more power.

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
jordanmc97
Message 5 of 6 (96 Views)

Yes I'd be upgrading to a corsair 600w PSU if I did indeed purchase a Graphics card, I've read several reports on Graphics cards not working on HP prebuilds even when changing the bios/UEFI to legacy mode?

I just don't want to spend an upwards of £300 on something that might not work, I'll be ringing HP anyway but thank you for the help.

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 6 of 6 (89 Views)

[ Edited ]

RMS = Root means square or .707 of the peak to peak AC values in reference to DC.

Just get the Corsair 600 watt PSU and you will be good to go.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation