Question

Honor Student
KatAnd
Message 1 of 8 (586 Views)

HP Pavilion p7-1414 powers off intermittently

I "upgraded" my desktop HP Pavilion p7-1414 from Windows 8 to 8.1 at the suggestion of the operating system.  The upgrade went smoothly and I began using the computer as normal.  While I was using it, it powered off without warning and without shutting down.  I thought maybe it had overheated for some reason (although it never has before) so I let it sit for a while before trying to turn in back on.  When I presssed the power button, the computer began to start up like normal, displaying the HP logo on the monitor.  Then it powered off again while on the logo screen.  Sometimes it will boot up normally, so it isn't the hard drive.  But it inevitably powers off again, and often will only display the logo screen for a split second afterwards before powering off again.  

There are no error messages or beep codes.  The power supply light on the back of the case is green.  I cleaned the inside of the computer case for dust and tested it with a different power cable. Same results.   It's plugged into a surge protected strip, and none of the other devices plugged in are having problems.  Plugging it  directly into an outlet doesn't change anything.  How long ago I was able to boot it up doesn't seem to have an effect on the likelihood it will boot again, so it isn't "static buildup on the motherboard" or whatever that was suggested to a user in a similar situation.  XD

The problem is intermittent (when I took it to a repair shop it started up pretty as you please and made me look foolish) and I find it suspicious that it began only a few hours after I upgraded to Windows 8.1.  But I don't know enough about computer hardware to rule out a hardware issue.  Incidentally, this problem started 18 days after the warranty expired. HP Support wasn't inclined to give me grace on the issue.  Anybody have thoughts on what might be the cause of this problem?

HP Support Agent
Sparkles1
Message 2 of 8 (549 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion p7-1414 powers off intermittently

HI KatAnd,

Welcome to the HP forum!

I grasp that after upgrading to Windows 8.1, you have  intermittent boot up issues.  I will try my best for you.

I am providing you documentation on Updating Windows 8 to 8.1.  You can run the HP Support Assistant to aid with updating drivers and resolving issues.  Windows 8 and 8.1 have a built in troubleshooter you can run to help with this issue. 

Press Windows key +C to open charms

Type "troubleshoot startup " , select from the drop down list and follow  the on screen prompts.

If you are still experiencing a difficulty, you could try a Microsoft system restore back to a known good date or an HP recovery to take it back to factory. Here are documents on Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 8), and Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 8). 

For you information, I am also including Computer Starts but Monitor Remains Blank (Windows 8).  Please let me know the outcome.

Sparkles1
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!
Honor Student
KatAnd
Message 3 of 8 (515 Views)

I'm sure those documents would be helpful if they addressed my problem.  The computer doesn't even finish booting sometimes before powering off.  Because of this, system restore isn't available.  Also, the monitor is not blank unless the power is off.  The repair center I took my shiny HP brick to tells me it's the motherboard.  This is the second HP computer I've had whose motherboard failed early in its life.  Once is bad luck.  Twice is bad manufacturing.  Question of the day: will I buy HP again?    

HP Support Agent
Sparkles1
Message 4 of 8 (510 Views)

Hi KatAnd,

Thank you for your response. 

You can test the hardware using the system diagnostics. If you press F11 approximately once every second on startup, you should be able to get to the bios. From there you will see an option to test the hard drive. For your information I am also including the Troubleshooting and Maintenance Guide.  I hope this helps

Sparkles1
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Honor Student
KatAnd
Message 5 of 8 (497 Views)

Unfortunately, the computer only stays powered for a 1-3 seconds most of the time--not long enough to bring up the BIOS using F11.  It was a good idea, and I did attempt it, but nothing came of it.  Thanks for trying, though.

HP Support Agent
Sparkles1
Message 6 of 8 (493 Views)

Hey KatAnd,

It could be coincidental that this occurred after updating to Windows 8.1.  Here is a link to Troubleshooting Power Supply Issues,    Please note the section  on the " Power Button is on or flashes".  Please let me know the results.

Sparkles1
I work on behalf of HP

Honor Student
KatAnd
Message 7 of 8 (478 Views)

I replaced the power supply (someone else had suggested it), but the issue persisted. 

HP Support Agent
Sparkles1
Message 8 of 8 (459 Views)

Hi KatAnd,

I hope you had a delightful weekend!

I understand that the computer will not stay powered on long enought to run the diagnostics

Here is a document that I hope will help..Computer Does Not Start (Windows 8).   If you are still unable to power on the computer, I suggest calling HP Technical Support. Please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below, to get the support number for your region.HP Technical Support SiteMap

Sparkles1
I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation