Question
HP Pavilion s3100n slimline won't boot up
Replies (21)

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 11 of 22 (5,668 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion s3100n slimline won't boot up

cdreul,

Slimline PCs were not meant to be upgraded but the newer models have better optional choices for video processing. If you buy a newer Slimline then buy with your needs in mind.  Slimline PCs are not gaming PCs so don't buy one with that as a need. Perhaps the extended warranty would be a consideration. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Student
Wolver
Message 12 of 22 (5,256 Views)

Had the same problem, then my extended warranty suddenly disappeared- decided to gut the HP for parts, bought an ECS motherboard and an HTPC case for less than $100 total. Up and running again in a matter of days, with much higher specs.
Student
stonewallco2
Message 13 of 22 (4,724 Views)

I've had the identical  problems with my HP s3100n. I've been trying to resolve all these issues on Windows BBS for a month. Too bad I didn't check this forum first. I've tested everthing except the MOBO and CPU. I have a POST testing PCI card on the way just to see what it tells me but  sounds like the MOBO from all of the above .I expect a MOBO to last more than three years under a light load of programs. Maybe it's time to do another build (micro ATX this time) or find a more reliable brand. I can't believe HP thinks three years is the life span of a PC and we shouldn't expect more. Sounds like several of us have been taken by HP. I can see why they only offer a one year warrantee.

Student
wilson3682
Message 14 of 22 (4,583 Views)

Hi all, I have had the same problem with these computers. The main issue is that  the northbridge chipset is always getting too hot to the point that it fails.  I've been able to fix some of these computers by doing a reflow "for those that don't know what a reflow is just do a google search. :-)", but in some cases the damage is already done and the only way to fix it is by replacing the chips.  Hope this helps a bit.

Student
AAB13X2L
Message 15 of 22 (4,567 Views)

I have somewhat the same problem. I have a HP Pavilion s3120n slimline that was doing great and after it went to sleep it would not turn on. This has happen 3 or 4 times before so I shut the computer down with the power switch and them turned it back. I would see a flash (once) on the keyboard and then the monitor would light up and say NO SIGNAL and go back off. For the first few times It would read the E drive but that was it. Now you can just plug it in and the blue light will come on and that's about it. Power pack is OK as well as the memory chips. Replaced it with another computer to see if keyboard and monitor would work and they did great. Having it check out by a friend who used to work for HP to see what he can find out.

I liked the small size but there has been a real problem with heat buildup. I keep a fan blowing right on my vents to avoid much of this.

Motherboard, power pack and TV tuner have already been replace once, under warranty but no warranty now and HP wants $289.00 to fix it, and this includes one item replacement only.

Bought the unit new in Sept. 2007.

The bad thing about fixing one of these is that because of heat buildup another part will fail and it becomes a cycle of repairing.

Based upon the information I posted here if you have a idea as what would be the fix please reply. Thank You.

Student
itsmeinit
Message 16 of 22 (3,981 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion s3115.uk slimline won't restart

I have a s3115.uk slimline that wont restart after booting up or sometimes it wont even boot or post and sometimes it will boot, i have tried different memory, gcard, cpu,psu but still does the same thing, sometimes starts but no restart, I have not tried a mobo yet, the pc is 3 years old, the mobo is a m2nc51-ar, is the mobo a pile of pants?

Honor Student
nipits
Message 17 of 22 (2,288 Views)

Anybody interested in fixing a hp slimline that won't boot up or show video but power is good, let me know and i will tell u how to fix it. 

Student
bcreighton7
Message 18 of 22 (1,777 Views)

Yep, how do you fix it?

Honor Student
nipits
Message 19 of 22 (1,765 Views)

Believe it or not if you take the motherboard completely out and remove everything you can,battery,cpu,heatsink on video chip and wipe off any heatsink compound on video chip from heatsink and preheat your oven to 380 degrees and set your motherboard on a corning ware dish and let it set in there for 7 minutes and then open the door and let it cool off and reinstall your motherboard it will work again for awhile but it will eventually happen again, the video chip gets hot and it looses it's solder connections and by putting it in the oven it will fix it but it will get hot again and happen again unless you install something linke speedfan program and set it up to auto run or run all the time to help keep things cool, you need another fan blowing on the video chip heatsink. once the oven is preheated only let the oven run for one minute longer with the heat still on and then turn the oven off, the other six minutes is enough heat and time to fix the problem and after 7 minutes open the oven door and let cool, i've done it lots of times and it always works. be careful.

Honor Student
Morice
Message 20 of 22 (735 Views)

My HP s3100n will not boot up. system is running ie; fans and lights. monitor is blank. HELP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation