HP Pavillion Desktop won't restore back to factory settings (575 Views)
Student
kattn
Message 1 of 2 (575 Views)

HP Pavillion Desktop won't restore back to factory settings

My desktop is a HP Pavilion P6000 series, Model p6755 and I am running Windows 7 operating system.   System Restore won't complete.  Says hardrive failure, but when I select restore factory settings, says it can't as the hardrive is smaller than what was installed.  What does this mean?  Did I get ripped off?  When first purchased I burned three recovery media disks.  Thought that that would work, but doesn't.  Naturally, the computer came out of warranty in January this year (2013).  If a new hard drive is needed, is there anyway I can save pix, music, docs?   Wasn't back up recently.  Many thanks for advice.

Distinguished Professor
AxshunJaxun
Message 2 of 2 (543 Views)

Re: HP Pavillion Desktop won't restore back to factory settings

Hey kattn,

Here are some options for data recovery.

You may be able to create a Live CD. This is a CD with an alternative operating system that runs completely from a CD rather than your hard drive.

Using a Live CD, you can access your hard drive just like you would access a flash drive. You can copy and paste your files from your notebook's hard drive onto a flash drive or external hard drive. You will need to scan that flash drive/external hard drive with a dependable anti-virus program BEFORE opening or transferring those files, to prevent infecting a second computer. 

A really good Live CD to get is Knoppix. I've used it before a couple of times to recover data from infected computers and hard drives partially damaged by a drop. Here a few links that provide you with more information on Knoppix.

How to Recovery Data with Linux

5 Tips for Using Knoppix to Recover Data From an Unbootable PC

How to Recover Files From Laptop With Crashed Windows Using Knoppix CD

Once your data is backed up, you can start troubleshooting on the hard drive. I would suggest running a diagnostic hard drive test. The following steps were taken from here

1. Turn off the computer.
  2. Use one of the following methods:

Turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second, until the HP System Diagnostics program opens.

OR

Turn on the computer and immediately press the Escape key repeatedly, about once every second, until the Startup menu opens. Then press F2 .
    The System Diagnostics window allows you to run several diagnostic tests. Each test determines if the hardware is functioning properly, and displays an error message and a warranty ID if there is a hardware failure.

4. Run the Start-Up Test. Post the results in your reply. The Start-Up Test tests the major components included in powering on the computer and loading Windows. The SMART Check, Short DST (Drive Self-Test), and Optimized DST all have to do with your hard drive. If any of those fail, the hard drive will need to be replaced. If the Start-Up Test passes, try looking at this link for further suggestions on how to reload Windows

This could have been caused by a few different things. Were any components on the notebook replaced? namely the hard drive or motherboard? Is it possible the set of recovery discs you are using may be for another HP computer in your home? The reason I ask is because the HP OEM version of Windows that is in the Recovery Manager partition on the hard drive and on the set of recovery discs that can be burned, contain some specifications for the notebook that they are designed for. If a set of recovery discs burned from one computer with ABC product ID, is used on another computer with the  XYZ product ID it wouldn't recognize the hard drive and would throw out an error like what you're seeing. That's a hypothetical situation but stranger things have happened. So it doesn't necessarily mean you were ripped off or anything. 

Please let me know if you have any questions or if these suggestions helped (this could help others with similar issues). I'll keep an eye out for your reply! :smileyhappy:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation