Question

Student
nx6125hp
Message 1 of 3 (884 Views)

HP Pavillion a1040n

I have a HP Pavillion a1040n and all of a sudden the other day it just stopped working. I figured out that the hard drive was bad (sounded like a coffee grinder when it actually spun) Anyways I purchased a new Seagate 250GB hard drive to replace the 200GB it originally came with. My problem has to do with starting up the computer and either attempting to load new OS onto hard drive and or having the OS already loaded onto Hard drive. While attempting to boot up the computer just locks up and random places. I can occasionally get to the screen where I can hit Escape or F1 or F10 but the computer just keeps locking up. Any ideas as to what I might need to replace, power supply, motherboard, processor etc.

Let me know if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks

Distinguished Professor
RasterBlaster
Message 2 of 3 (864 Views)

Re: HP Pavillion a1040n

Not enough info.

The only way you can get the software build back is to remove the old drive, install the new drive and set it as the new primary master drive (via jumpers on the drive), and use recovery discs to reinstate the HP Software (or install a new operating system).

... an HP employee expressing his own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
Grad Student
gkdiamond
Message 3 of 3 (859 Views)

Re: HP Pavillion a1040n

[ Edited ]
The HP Pavillion a1040n uses a SATA Hard Disk Drive. A SATA cable supports just one drive so generally they are all considered masters and no jumper configuration is necessary.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation