Question

Honor Student
adamg587
Message 1 of 5 (2,367 Views)

HP Pavillion p6180 with Logitech Illuminated keyboard- randomly disconnects

We just purchased a new Pavillion p6180t (Vista SP1 64 bit, Core2Quad Q8300, 6GB/640GB, 1GB Nvidia GeForce GT120) to replace a previous custom-built PC (also running Vista) which had a failed mainboard.  We had relatively new hardware which we decided to keep using with the HP, including a Logitech Illuminated keyboard purchased about a year ago.  While everything else- display, printer, speakers, mouse, have had absolutely no issues, the keyboard has been a disaster.  The computer will work fine with the keyboard for several hours, or even days, but once in a while it will randomly disconnect (as if the keyboard were not even connected to the computer).  Unplugging the USB cable and reconnecting it always fixes the issue for the next few hours.  This most frequently happens when waking up from sleep mode, or if the computer has been left sitting for a while.

Thinking it was a defective keyboard, we got a replacement from Logitech, which did the same thing, but worked fine on another computer.  We tried with the original HP keyboard, and it was much more reliable (it disconnected once, but has yet to again, and it's been a week or so), though we don't like the keyboard nearly as much as the Logitech- it's far too difficult to type on.  I also re-installed the keyboard drivers from the HP downloads website.

Any suggestions on what to do?  Any known incompatibilities?  This is particularly frustrating, since we specifically like the Logitech Illuminated keyboard due to the low-travel, backlit keys, and it's extremely difficult to be 'forced' to use something else.

As far as software running on the computer, we've got Vista 64 bit, Office 2007, AVG anti-virus, AOL 9.0, iTunes, Firefox, and that's about it.  Nothing different from the previous computer which worked fine with the keyboard (unless you included the HP pre-installed stuff).

Please help!!!

Thanks,

-Adam

Provost
old_geekster
Message 2 of 5 (2,353 Views)

Re: HP Pavillion p6180 with Logitech Illuminated keyboard- randomly disconnects

Adam, go to this link to see if Logitech has updated drivers for your keyboard:

http://www.logitechdriver.org/?gclid=CLqX48Du050CFR4UagodvWSVsg

This may be what it takes to solve your problem.  Also, I believe that it is more likely to be a Logitech problem and it would be a good idea to contact their Tech Support. 

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe
- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 3 of 5 (2,342 Views)

What is the setting in device manager for the KBD under power management?
Honor Student
adamg587
Message 4 of 5 (2,321 Views)

I was thinking it could be that, but, it is set to never reduce power, and to allow the device to wake the computer from sleep.  In power options (in control panel) it is also set to never reduce power to USB devices. 

I tried with and without the Logitech software; doesn't seem to solve the problem...

Grad Student
sclui56
Message 5 of 5 (2,314 Views)

Have you contacted Logitech support? I just glanced over their forum and it appears quite a number of people having various issues w/ the illuminated KBD whereby it would stop responding, some from boot & some from hibernation.

I have a slightly different problem with my Logitech slim wireless KBD, it would get interference from my router once in a while, and it does not function before the O/S boots (can't access F-keys to get into setup, etc.)

Does your particular BIOS has a separate USB power configuration?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation