Question

Top Student
burnt
Message 1 of 15 (7,726 Views)

HP Slimline s1320n won't boot up - frozen...

Hello to all,

Well, I hope someone can help me. Even if my computer is broken beyond anyhting I can do at home, I still need advice on where to go to hopefully have my files retrieved (not backed-up :smileysad:.

The problem - I left the house for about an hour with the computer on. It usually goes to sleep after about 20 minutes. I came home and noticed the monitor was in sleep mode, but the computer power button was a steady blue (there was no blinking amber on the front, which usually indicates to me that the computer is working on something?). Normally, when the computer is in sleep mode, both the monitor and the computer lights are yellow/amber. I usullay just move the mouse back and forth once or twice and the computer comes out of sleep mode. Both the power and monitor buttons turn blue. This time the monitor button didn't. The power switch on the computer remained a steady blue light, and the monitor stayed asleep (yellow/amber). I can hear the fan running. I also noticed that the keyboard wil not light up and appears "dead". This is what I have done so far:

1. Since the keyboard is dead, I pushed the power button in for 5 seconds until it shutoff. I waited 1 minute and pushed the power button agin. The power button turned blue, and the front blinked amber (like it was starting up) but hen stopped blinking after about 5 blinks and the computer went back to the way I found it when I got home (power switch blue, monitor asleep).

2. I powered on the monitor (which was sleeping) and it started but said "no input signal" and said it was going back into sleep mode (which it did). So now it appears to me that the monitor is not receiving a signal from the computer and neither is the keyboard.

3. I unplugged the computer from the power supply and waited 1 minute and plugged it back in. Same resluts as above. Steady blue power switch. Momentary blinking amber on the front of the computer. Monitor still in sleep mode and keyboard dead.

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

I have the HP Pavilion Slimline s1320n TV PC, with windows vista home premium and AMD Athlon 64 x 2 dual core oprocessor 4200+. It has 2048MB system memory and 320 GB hard drive. The specs says it the system chipset is NVIDIA nForce 430 and memory type is DDR2-SDRAM. I don't know much about computers so if I left anyhting out maybe I can find it in the paperwork....

Thanks again,

Joe

Professor
1badGuard
Message 2 of 15 (7,720 Views)

Re: HP Slimline s1320n won't boot up - frozen...

You did mean S3120N ? Unplug the pc and Open the case and reseat the memory and tv tuner card. Boot back up and see what happens.
Top Student
burnt
Message 3 of 15 (7,703 Views)

Re: HP Slimline s3120n won't boot up - frozen...

Hi,

I'm sorry, yes, s3120n. I tried booting it up this morning and it started and said that it did not shut down properly. It gave me three options to start (including safe mode) but I said to start it nromally. It started like a prolike a pro. I began frantically to start backing up my files, and after 7 or 8 minutes, the screen became like hundreds of miniature pics of my desktop with a blue background. Computer wouldn't shut-off. Nothing worked/responded. I had to press the power button to shut it down. At this point maybe I should get it to a shop so they can back-up everything on my computer? I mean I could try other methods (as you suggest) but I'm not that computer literate. I might make things worse....

HP has said there is a defect with this model i.e; shutting down, freezing, etc. I never had this problem until now. Has anybody had to deal with this problem with this model?

Thanks for your help.

Joe

Professor
1badGuard
Message 4 of 15 (7,685 Views)

Re: HP Slimline s3120n won't boot up - frozen...

[ Edited ]

Your correct. Send it in asap.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01514044&cc=us&%20dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002...

Message Edited by dmhoo29 on 01-27-2009 12:26 PM
Student
Hapinot
Message 5 of 15 (6,983 Views)

I have the same model hp product which I bought a year ago. Started freezing 2 months ago and now wont boot up at all. When I turn it on , the green light flickered then stopped. Blue light stayed on. Key board didn't light up and monitor stayed in sleep mode. If this product is defective can it be replaced?

ti

Intern
HPMAN10
Message 6 of 15 (6,340 Views)

Burnt, I don't know if your problem is similar to mine but here is what I did to fix the problem I had with returning from sleep mode with my HP Slimline s3220nWhen I returned to start up my system in sleep mode it would freezeup or take a couple of minutes to openI tried several fixes shown on the HP website page on the sleep mode problem without any successI finally discovered through my Reliability and Performance Monitor that my stability rating went from 9.2 to 5.3 the day I installed Windows Vista Service Pack 2 so needless to say it got me wondering if SP2 had anything to do with the freezing and slow return from sleep modeI decided to uninstall SP2 from my system and lo and behold no more sleep mode problemsMy next step is to review my Reliability and Performance Monitor tomorrow to see what my stability rating will be, I'm expecting to see a substantial increase in my ratingI hope this solution to my problem helps you with your freezeup situation.

PS, my system is very similar to yours, except my hard drive is 400 GB and I maxed out my memory to 4 GBI would also like to know if you have had any problems with Windows Media Center as far as watching live TVDo you get an error message that states (No Tuner Installed) or similar messageYou can read my post on my problem under heading ViXS tuner.    

Top Student
burnt
Message 7 of 15 (6,285 Views)

Hi,

I sent my computer back to HP and when I got it back it worked alright for a few weeks and then............ are, no one seems to have a definitive answer about what this can be caused by. The SP2 update sounds interesting, but why hasn't this been officially "confirmed" by HP (or some other entity) that this is the problem?

Joe

Intern
HPMAN10
Message 8 of 15 (6,284 Views)

Joe, I wish I could answer those questions but like I said, I just happened to stumble upon my fix by checking out my stability reportLuckily for me it workedHopefully for you it might tooTry it, you have nothing to lose, you can always reinstall SP2On the other question about Windows Media Center and the live TV problem for me, do you experience the same problem with your unitIt would be interesting to talk to someone with a similar problem to find out how they are handling it.

Steve

Top Student
burnt
Message 9 of 15 (6,276 Views)

Hi,

I don't use it for watching tv. I haven't noticed any problems with the media center, but then again, I really don't use it that often (I only use it when I can't open a file by normal means, ie; real player).

I'm not really that computer literate when it comes to the "guts" of how a computer works. If it isn't too much trouble, what steps did you take to uninstall the SP2 update?

Joe

Intern
HPMAN10
Message 10 of 15 (6,256 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello again Joe, will be glad to show you how to remove SP2 from your computer.  First go to Control Panel, click on Programs and Features, then click on View installed updates in left pane.  Under Microsoft Windows heading find the latest update that has service pack, right click on it and an uninstall window will pop up for that line.  Just click on the uninstall window and the process of uninstall will begin.  It will probably take a fair amount of time to remove SP2 but just be patient.    Follow the prompted directions after uninstall has finished, you will most likely have to restart computer  to complete this process.  If you decide to reinstall SP2 later you will notice that it is in Windows Update which you should have setup to inform you of any new updates available.  Once you uninstall SP2 it will inform you that there is a SP update, do not reinstall it if the uninstall solves your freezing problem.  Hopefully the SP2 removal will fix your problem.  If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask me and I'll see if I can be of any assistance to you.  On another subject, you stated that you do not use your TV tuner in your system. I am probably going to be looking for another tuner for my system and since you have a compatable Slimline with the TV tuner that you do not use you may want to consider possibly selling it to me.  Just something for you to think about.  I recieve an e-mail response from HP when you reply to this posting, so when you respond I will be informed.

Steve   

Message Edited by HPMAN10 on 06-15-2009 05:50 AM
Message Edited by HPMAN10 on 06-15-2009 01:16 PM
Message Edited by HPMAN10 on 06-15-2009 01:20 PM
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation