HP Slimline s3100n video card problems (1169 Views)
Honor Student
tman1820
Message 1 of 4 (1,169 Views)

HP Slimline s3100n video card problems

Hello,

So my parents own an HP slimline s3100n. While I know this isn't a powerful and ultramodern machine, it more than adequately serves their purpose. A few weeks ago the on board video started acting up by intermittently having a blue tint to the picture. I changed monitors and it was blue on that one too, so I figured it must be the video output.

With such, I decided to pickup a graphics card to replace their ailing one...picked up an Asus EAH5450 SILENT off of newegg since it is pretty low power and should theoretically be an easy changeout.

Well, nonetheless, it's been nothing but a headache. I plugged the card in and nothing happened. It wasn't recognized in Windows 7 device manager, so I uninstalled the on board graphics drivers and disabled, switched the default display device to PCI-E in the Bios, and reset the CMOS jumper. The new graphics card appears to be getting power since it is heating up. This is a passive unit, so no fan. I have an extra one to install in the case if heat became a problem.

So does anyone have any additional advice to try to get this to work. I don't think the cards faulty since it's heating up and don't currently have a second pc to test it out on. So I'm coming to the conclusion that there must be something wrong with the PCI-E slot, which is a real bummer because that will be the death sentence to an otherwise pretty awesome little machine. By the time I replace the motherboard, the cost would probably equala new comparable machine. I suppose I can try to hunt down a low profile regular pci video card, if they even make those, since there is a modem in the computer that isn't being used...but still, ideally a pci-e card is so much better and the added HDMI would be great since they are getting into streaming movies.

So any advice before I officially call this all a lost cause?

Grad Student
JiriT
Message 2 of 4 (1,140 Views)

Re: HP Slimline s3100n video card problems

If your card is new model with PCI-E 2.1 revision implemented I would suspect this as compatibility issue. As yor MB is from 2007 I am convinced that it has PCI-E 16x slot with rev 1.0a. Even if officially rev2.0 is backwards compatible some VGA cards have reported problem running on 1.0a slotted MBs. I would try looking for some older card rev 2.0 or even 1.0a to try.

JT
I work for HP but my posts and replies are my own.

**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Honor Student
tman1820
Message 3 of 4 (1,118 Views)

[ Edited ]

I just purchased a cheap hp NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS off ebay. It should theoretically work in this computer since it was  designed/offered with the slimline series in the past. If this doesn't work, I might try to find a regular low profile pci card that will fit in where the unused modem is, although finding one of those might be a challenge as it seems the few that are still offered out there are kind of overpriced due to their obsolescence.

HP P/N: 445743-001 - I know it's a weak card...but please let it work!!

Student
xxpurenergyxx
Message 4 of 4 (1,014 Views)

hey, i actually have the exact same pc and had the exact same video card... with the exact same results.  After doing some research i thought that maybe i needed to upgrade my power supply and did that - a 270 w psu should have provided ample power to get the card working.  After plugging it all in, it still didn't work.  I was all ready to rip it out and call it a lost cause when I decided to give it one last shot, and this is where it got wierd...

- With my pc open and on its side, I powered the pc up and the HP FINALLY recognized the card and i had it working flawlessly.... so it obviously isn't a compatibility issue as another comment suggested.  I closed everything up and had it going for a few days until I turned off the slimline... then it was back to not recognizing a card being present.  I layed it back on it's side and somehow it WORKED AGAIN!?!  Apparently the motherboard needs to be laying flat?  Perhaps the fanless heatsink of the video card doesn't do it's job when it's upside down?  Anyway, that worked for a few days but now it won't read the card on start up no matter how I orient the computer.  Completely frustrated, I'm returning the video card for another one.  Hopefully better luck with that...

I'll keep you updated, and if you don't mind let me know how yours turns out?

BTW - I took out the card in the PCI slot directly below the PCI-E slot to give more breathing room. Unless you're connecting a phone line for dial up, it's unnecessary and may allow for a slightly bulkier unit.  I honestly am not a computer expert, but I've had that card out for weeks and haven't had a problem with my internet at all.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation